I lost my external hard disk data

yunussaha

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hello all

I have made a very big mistake. i mistakenly executed diskpart clean on my external hard disk and also executed fromat ntfs command and just 1 minute after i realized that its the wrong disk i have executed the command on, so i stopped the command. but then i see my disk is not recognized by my computer and is not displayed as drive on MY COMPUTER, and the file system also converted to NTFS, before it was extFAT.

then i tried to recover data, so again executed diskpart assign H (H is the drive letter) to my disk and it gets recognized but asks me to format it else it is not accessible, so i did a quick extFAT format. but now i can access the disk and the file system format is also the original extFAT, but i lost all my data.

The data is very very very important to me, those data are almost 5 years of data, so I really need the data to be recovered. is there anyone who can help me with this? It will be really helpful and i will be really thankful for any help i get here.

so the process was like this.

1) 1TB Hard Disk extFAT file system with all the data
2) executed diskpart clean and executed format ntfs and stope within a minute.
3) as the disk is unrecognized, so i assiged drive letter with diskpart assign H (H is the deive letter)
4) it asked me to format the drive, i thought formatting it back to extFAT will get me my data back, so i formatted extFAT.

Now i lost data !!!! :(:(

I tried to recover with several recovery software,but i am really not sure, how to get the data back.

I executed a quick scan by partitionrecovery software, i did not get the data
I also executed full recovery with EASEUS data recovery software, but still no success.

Is there any one who can guide me, how to get my data back? is there a possibility to get the data back?

Solution
Even if you formated your drive the data is still there. You have to actually write over it with something to erase it. That's how security programs work, they write all 0s then all 1s and 0s and so forth to actually erase the drive.

Back to your problem. I use linux to repair things in windows, this being one of them. If you download and install a live linux onto a flash drive, puppy linux is very small and Ubuntu more complete, and then install testdisk, it can recover virtually everything. There is a windows version but hey, if you have a linux stick it makes getting after a lot of windows problems easier. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
None to less chance of recovering data. You have formatted and write over, so there is nothing left to recover or very very little left to recover. Sorry.

There are tons of free data recovery softwares out there, you can try your luck with. But chances are less. If the data is very important to you then you can contact data recovery service/company, they may be able to help you and will charge you plenty.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Even if you formated your drive the data is still there. You have to actually write over it with something to erase it. That's how security programs work, they write all 0s then all 1s and 0s and so forth to actually erase the drive.

Back to your problem. I use linux to repair things in windows, this being one of them. If you download and install a live linux onto a flash drive, puppy linux is very small and Ubuntu more complete, and then install testdisk, it can recover virtually everything. There is a windows version but hey, if you have a linux stick it makes getting after a lot of windows problems easier. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Solution

TRENDING THREADS