I love this story

dallas

If you missed it the first time:
http://www.skycam.com.au/172/172Cessna182ferry.html

(Credit to Tom Orle for finding it) These guys ferried a new C182 8,176 nm
from the factory in Independence, MO to Bankstown, Australia. Didn't have
time to read it that day, so I bookmarked it and read it today.

I don't know what to think... it sounds like a great adventure... and it
sounds like a great way to get killed. In the sim I'm sure it would be
boring, but in real life I'd bet you are never "bored".

Varmit

> If you missed it the first time:
> http://www.skycam.com.au/172/172Cessna182ferry.html

Cool story. Thanks for posting it. The bladder system was interesting.
That flight might be something to try to re-create in FS.

> If you missed it the first time:
> http://www.skycam.com.au/172/172Cessna182ferry.html
>
> (Credit to Tom Orle for finding it) These guys ferried a new C182 8,176
> nm
> from the factory in Independence, MO to Bankstown, Australia. Didn't have
> time to read it that day, so I bookmarked it and read it today.
>
> I don't know what to think... it sounds like a great adventure... and it
> sounds like a great way to get killed. In the sim I'm sure it would be
> boring, but in real life I'd bet you are never "bored".
>
> Varmit

Hey "Varmit",

Remember, when over large bodies of water in a single engine aircraft, the
engine will go to the automatic rough setting without pilot intervention.
GARONTEED!!!!! Every Time!!!! :)))

Paul

dallas

"Paul Riley"
> Remember, when over large bodies of water in a single engine aircraft, the
> engine will go to the automatic rough setting without pilot intervention.
> GARONTEED!!!!! Every Time!!!! :)))

HA!

....does it at night too.

Dallas

> "Paul Riley"
>> Remember, when over large bodies of water in a single engine aircraft,
>> the
>> engine will go to the automatic rough setting without pilot intervention.
>> GARONTEED!!!!! Every Time!!!! :)))
>

> HA!
>
> ...does it at night too.
>
> Dallas

Even worse when it is night over water. :)))

Paul

crash

Paul Riley wrote:

> Even worse when it is night over water. :)))

Especially over the Pacific = "the world of no horizon"

Tim

Dallas wrote:
> If you missed it the first time:
> http://www.skycam.com.au/172/172Cessna182ferry.html
>
> (Credit to Tom Orle for finding it) These guys ferried a new C182
> 8,176 nm from the factory in Independence, MO to Bankstown,
> Australia. Didn't have time to read it that day, so I bookmarked it
> and read it today.
>
> I don't know what to think... it sounds like a great adventure... and
> it sounds like a great way to get killed. In the sim I'm sure it
> would be boring, but in real life I'd bet you are never "bored".
>
> Varmit

Certainly is fascinating reading. I think I'd be a bit nervous about flying
those sort of distances over water in a little Cessna mind you!

Thanks for the link,

Tim

Studmuffin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:45:43 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> If you missed it the first time:
> http://www.skycam.com.au/172/172Cessna182ferry.html

I did miss it the first time, so thanks for the repost!

> I don't know what to think... it sounds like a great adventure... and it
> sounds like a great way to get killed. In the sim I'm sure it would be
> boring, but in real life I'd bet you are never "bored".

Oh heck...14.5 hours straight in a single engine sputter bird?
How do you kill the time? Easy! Travel Scrabble! :)

But I'm seriously impressed with what these guys pulled off!
8,176nm in 9 hops in a C182. Now *that's* a challenge!

Simulating the Santa Barbara-Hilo leg would mean constant mid-flight
refueling. Who wants to give it a try? Hmmmmm?

--

Marcel
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

> Certainly is fascinating reading. I think I'd be a bit nervous about
> flying those sort of distances over water in a little Cessna mind you!
>
> Thanks for the link,
>
> Tim
Interesting flight thanks Dally. Funny how the mind immediately goes to
flight sim. Must give it a go.. a leg a day - extra sheepskin on the office
chair!! When I actually flew a 152 over ocean waters I'm sure the engine
sounded rougher so that must all be in the mind too although someone did say
they had a rough sounding engine anyway.

Butts

That's Independence, KANSAS!!