I made a large PC upgrade and have a question about my m.2 SSD.

Sep 27, 2018
I recently built my own PC for the first time, and I put an m.2 SSD in my crosshair vii hero. I have my OS installed on it and everything however, I don't know if I have my bios for it setup correctly. I set everything to auto because I honestly do not know what each option does. Its a Samsung 970 pro 1TB m.2, it "seem" to be fast as you would expect, instant booting windows and loading games and files quickly and such. However, I wanna make sure I'm getting the speed for what I paid for and not less due to user error.

In my bios it has options of auto, Disabled (x8 mode) and Disabled (x4/x4 mode) it also has 3 PCIE modes as well as 2 m.2_1 and m.2_2 options with various generations and I literally have no clue what to do without maybe positively or negatively affecting my GPU due to limited reading saying messing with the modes could take power from my other PCI slots if I understood it correctly.

The reason I'm asking is because if I extract a rar or compressed file I never get more than 10-15MB/s on a m.2 that has 3500MB/s read and 2700MB/s write.

Solution
Just remember that the extraction process isn't a pure read/write for your SSD. It's also utilizing your CPU and RAM which can cause the slowdown. That's still plenty of speed and if it's working you are set up just fine. Those options you are talking about sound like the pci-e speed for your graphics card, I'd just leave it to auto and rock it.
Just remember that the extraction process isn't a pure read/write for your SSD. It's also utilizing your CPU and RAM which can cause the slowdown. That's still plenty of speed and if it's working you are set up just fine. Those options you are talking about sound like the pci-e speed for your graphics card, I'd just leave it to auto and rock it.

Solution