[SOLVED] I managed to break off one of the pins for the power button!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2021
I janked the power button sideways and I managed to break one of the pins and bend the other badly?
Is there a possibility to add an ordinary momentary switch by splicing it to the green wire and the ground of the 24 pin cable?

I have the required soldering equipment to do the job and plenty of heatshrink.

Solution
Yeah you know the two where you short them to start it, one of them broke off.
From my understanding even if I don't have access to the pins I should be able to splice a pair of wires to the green(signal) and black one(doesn't matter which black)ground.
Assuming you didn't also break a trace inside the board when you broke that pin then simply solder to the stub (very very carefully)
Pictures pleeez

Assuming this is the power button on your PC case? If so, its just a matter of getting a new one with housing that fits in the clip of your front panel (if you don't want to resort to glue). You'd end up pulling the button out of the housing and pressing it into your new switch.

Dec 11, 2021
It's just a momentary contact switch. Replace it with anything of equal function. Now if you're talking about having broken off one or more of the pins either on the motherboard or on the plug then that's another kettle of fish.
From my understanding even if I don't have access to the pins I should be able to splice a pair of wires to the green(signal) and black one(doesn't matter which black)ground.
it's not a fancy solution but it should work.

Assuming you didn't also break a trace inside the board when you broke that pin then simply solder to the stub (very very carefully)

Reactions: Arbër1041
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.