[SOLVED] I may have an issue

May 3, 2021
I'll apologize for sounding uneducated right off the bat, but I need some advice. After putting my build into a new case, I think my motherboard isn't working. My GPU turns on, my CPU cooler lights up, the front of my IO shield turns on, all my fans light up, but my BIOS lights don't flash on startup, and the computer won't actually boot. I have no idea if this is the right thread, but I feel like if anyone can help me, it's this community.

SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU: Intel i7-9700K
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ultra FTW3 Super
MOBO: ASUS ROG Z-390E Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4x8gb @3000mhz
PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 850W

Last edited:
Solution
No, you do not sound uneducated at all. Especially because you know when to ask a question(s).

Could be any number of things.

Hopefully there is just some mis-connection causing the problem.

Start by updating your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What case - what caused the change to a new case? What problems or reasons?

Next, if you are to get into BIOS, configure POST to be as verbose as possible.

Then try booting into Safe Mode.

Post accordingly.

Ralston18

Titan
No, you do not sound uneducated at all. Especially because you know when to ask a question(s).

Start by updating your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Post accordingly.

Solution
I'll apologize for sounding uneducated right off the bat, but I need some advice. After putting my build into a new case, I think my motherboard isn't working. My GPU turns on, my CPU cooler lights up, the front of my IO shield turns on, all my fans light up, but my BIOS lights don't flash on startup, and the computer won't actually boot. I have no idea if this is the right thread, but I feel like if anyone can help me, it's this community.

The first thing to do is post your system configuration....CPU, GPU, motherboard, memory, PSU at least.

Second thing is check all connections against the motherboard manual. Make sure they're fully engaged, especially that memory dimms clicked in place solidly. A silly mistake is leaving the GPU supplemental power connector off.

Third thing is to check if you left out any standoffs in your case hardware bag and that it's properly fastened to those that are in the case already. If you aren't sure, you may have to take the motherboard completely out.

Reactions: martinch
May 3, 2021

Post accordingly.
I updated my post w/ my specs, it runs off of Windows 10.
I switched to a new case because I wanted something a little smaller, so I swapped from a Lian Li PC-011 to an NZXT H510 Elite (I know, not a very good reason, but I travel with my PC occasionally and the more maneuverability, the better) I forgot to add, as well, that my RAM doesn't light up either. I've checked my connections both from my PSU and from my components and nothing feels loose, neither is the RAM disconnected.

May 3, 2021
The first thing to do is post your system configuration....CPU, GPU, motherboard, memory, PSU at least.

Second thing is check all connections against the motherboard manual. Make sure they're fully engaged, especially that memory dimms clicked in place solidly. A silly mistake is leaving the GPU supplemental power connector off.

Third thing is to check if you left out any standoffs in your case hardware bag and that it's properly fastened to those that are in the case already. If you aren't sure, you may have to take the motherboard completely out.
I updated the original post with the specs, I forgot to add that it runs on Windows 10.
I've run through and checked all connections (CPU, GPU supplemental, 24 pin, all my SATA connections, RAM modules, even my fan and RGB headers) and nothing feels loose or out of place. All of my standoffs are in place, save for one that I think has a busted off screw in it (I got the case used from a friend, I just placed my motherboard over it without screwing it down to it)

.... All of my standoffs are in place, save for one that I think has a busted off screw in it (I got the case used from a friend, I just placed my motherboard over it without screwing it down to it)
Just make sure the busted off screw isn't touching the bottom of the board and shorting something out.

Also, the RAM's not lighting could mean they're not fully seated. Check that the extractor clips are fully engaged in the notches on the ends of the DIMM's, push down a little more until they are.

I'm not that familiar with Intel motherboards but I have to imagine a Z390 would have some sort of trouble lights or maybe even a 7 segment error code display. Look for the trouble lights... usually 4 LED's labeled CPU, VGA, RAM and BOOT which light in sequence and then stay lit at the point where it fails during POST.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: Check that standoff as suggested by @drea.drechsler

Also: does the following link present the User Guide applicable to your Motherboard?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/428647.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide.]

Note that Section 1.1.8 on Page 1-12 explains (as mentioned) the onboard troubleshooting LED's.

It is important that you checked all of connections to ensure that they were fully connected.

However, you must also verify that the connections are correct. Could well be that when you switched cases there was some difference in a connector or cable even thought there are standards. Or some cable is incorrect. Especially if

Read and work your way through the entire User Guide and refer to the User Guide to double check everything. Ensure that there is a fresh known working CMOS battery.

Read first, make a few notes and then go back to start actually physical troubleshooting. Pay attentions to all warnings, fine print, and mentioned configuration options.

The User Guide will likely refer you back to Asus's website for more up-to-date information. Be sure to do that.

Take a closer look at all of the connectors and cables per Section 1.1.9 beginning on Page 2-13.

Remember to look at jumpers, on board switches, and the LEDs that are lit and not lit. Use a bright flashlight to get clear views.

Reactions: martinch