I messed up my cpu cooler

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
The thermal paste on my pure rock slim got messed up. I accidentally put on the cover the wrong way and it smeared all over it. Should I buy a new cooler? Does the thermal paste on the cooler even matter because I'm going to be applying thermal paste on my CPU anyways.

Solution
Initially thermal paste needs to be either on cpu or cooler. There's no need to have it on both.
When you put cooler on cpu, thermal paste will spread.

Too much paste is as bad as too little. With too much it will get squeezed to parts, where it doesn't need to be. With too little there will be bad heat transfer between cpu and cooler.
May 20, 2013
Of course not. Don't buy a new cooler. The included thermal paste on cooler is only there to facilitate the installation and allow the end-user to install a cooler without having to apply his own paste.

Just clean the mess with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and you'll be set to go and install the cooler using your own thermal paste.

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Will it be fine without the thermal paste on the cooler? Maybe i shud put extra on the cpu now

Initially thermal paste needs to be either on cpu or cooler. There's no need to have it on both.
When you put cooler on cpu, thermal paste will spread.

Too much paste is as bad as too little. With too much it will get squeezed to parts, where it doesn't need to be. With too little there will be bad heat transfer between cpu and cooler.

Solution

iamacow

Admirable

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

I already have thermal paste which I'm supposed to put on the cpu. Will that be enough