I messed up my microSD

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
So I needed to format my microSD, and so I tried formatting it through windows and it said windows couldn't complete the format. I googled for a short time and tried formatting it through the disk manager. It didn't seem like it was doing anything so I decided to unplug it and plug it back in. At this point, windows keep telling me to scan and fix this microSD (whenever it was done scanning and fixing, it would pop up with a new window saying I needed to scan and fix again).

So I cancel the scan and fix after a couple of times, and decide to format it using diskpart tutorial I read. At the clean function of diskpart, it couldn't complete it due to an error. Ever since then I can't do anything to this microSD, as its in RAW, and keeps turning up CRC error.

Is there any way to fix my stupidity?

EDIT:
after rebooting my microsd is not RAW anymore? I can see its back to exFAT
So my question would be then, how do I get around "Windows cannot complete this format" thingy and get this card formatted?

try the hp usb format tool (run it as admin)

https://filehippo.com/download_hp_usb_disk_storage_format_tool/

if that doesnt work, it is most likely a bad card and not related to anything you did. you just found out it was bad by formatting it.

what was the error when you tried to clean it in diskpart?

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

Nothing happens when I click format through disk manager, no pop up or anything.
But now my card seems to be back to unallocated space.
Also the program you recommended did not work.

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

the utility said in a pop up that it couldn't format the disk or something like that.
for the diskpart I got some error like this "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)", when I did the "clean" function

try chkdsk.

since you don't have a drive letter assigned you'll need to do the following

-disconnect your sd card from your machine
-open cmd and execute the command:

mountvol

-a list of volumes will appear
-connect your sd card and use mountvol again
-compare the first and second mountvol results to figure out which drive is the sd card
-copy the volume label in full which will look like this \\?\Volume{4377a667-dbf6-11e8-a458-d050992b7bdb}\
-now you can run the chkdisk with the following command (using your volume between quotations, not my example)

chkdsk "\\?\Volume{4377a667-dbf6-11e8-a458-d050992b7bdb}\" /r

-try the hp utility and/or diskpart's clean command again.

if this doesnt work, you almost certainly have a bad card.

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

I got a different error this time.
It says "The specified device us currently used by other application(s). Please close them before formatting this device."
This is with the HP utility

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

The utility gave me the same being used by other application error, and diskpart clean also gave me the same cyclic redundancy check error again.

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

okay I think it was a faulty reader.
Now with a new reader, the utility says the media is write protected.
How do I can I format the drive?

are you using a full size sd card converter? if so, they sometimes have a little lock switch on them for write protection. you just need to switch it the other way.

2011-04-15_223854_sd-card.jpg

fatkitty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
I tried with my microsd card adapter that has the lock switch but it didn't work.
After much googling I think I've come to conclusion that my card has failed. Thanks for the help