[SOLVED] I messed up when applying thermal paste and need advice ?

deadrush

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2013
I accidentally got thermal paste on my Ryzen 3600x pins and in the mobo socket, now my pc lights come on but no video signal or anything beyond this. Is it possible i destroyed my pc or if i clean it will it be fine ?

Solution
I guess you could go for a new board since that’s cheaper than a cpu, then test the old cpu, if that doesn’t work you could rma the cpu, not sure how long that would take though.
What kind of paste was it? If the paste you used was conductive……

If the paste was not conductive and you can fully clean the cpu and socket with isopropyl alcohol and let them dry, maybe you have a chance? But if the thermal paste was conductive, arctic silver 5 for example, your cpu and board are probably gone.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would take the mobo completely down and use some brake parts cleaner to get the paste out of the socket area. Spray it down with some multi purpose spray, blow it off really well. Probably a good idea (after that) to attempt to boot the computer fully outside the case "breadboarded" as we call it. Make sure to set the motherboard down on something non conductive, such as it's box.

For reference, see TechYesCity (YouTube) and look specifically for what he calls "The Tech Yes lovin'"

deadrush

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2013
Ok i think i can clean the cpu but if not i have replacement on it but the mobo i have nothing so i guess worst case i buy new mobo

Also how would my pc react to starting it with thermal paste on cpu pins and socket?

TRENDING THREADS