I messed up :(

Torben Johannes

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
So i accidentaly touched a fan in the computer, which made it restart and all the icons and menu and everything dissapeared, i force shut down the pc and turned it back on, didnt help, i read some things on forums and tryed it but i was only lucky once to actually get the mouse to appear so no luck there, task manager didnt pop up only black screen, i then tryed to reinstall windows 7 and it seemed to remove the issue but after a while it came back again, please help :/

Solution
I think its unlikely to be a software issue given the fact that you interrupted hardware. You would have had to completely stop the fan on the processor for many minutes when idling, or a few tens of seconds when active to cause serious issues that would've been saved badly to the hard disk as a result of you interfering with it. I think its more likely that you have damaged the fan physically. That would prevent it from moving as much air as it used to, therefore leading to the processor getting hotter than it can handle too regularly.

It's relatively simple to replace any fan except the PSU fan. If you touched the power supply fan (the metal box with a fan in it) and that is what is acting up, you'll need to replace the PSU. It might...

gaymer1984

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I think its unlikely to be a software issue given the fact that you interrupted hardware. You would have had to completely stop the fan on the processor for many minutes when idling, or a few tens of seconds when active to cause serious issues that would've been saved badly to the hard disk as a result of you interfering with it. I think its more likely that you have damaged the fan physically. That would prevent it from moving as much air as it used to, therefore leading to the processor getting hotter than it can handle too regularly.

It's relatively simple to replace any fan except the PSU fan. If you touched the power supply fan (the metal box with a fan in it) and that is what is acting up, you'll need to replace the PSU. It might even be dangerous to use the PC if the PSU fan has been damaged, because if the PSU goes its likely to take everything connected to it out when it does.

Your first step is to try and remember which fan it was you stopped. How long for? Does it seem to go around like it used to?

Its worth doing everything hang-the-9 suggests as well it just wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of as causing the fault.

Solution