[SOLVED] I messed with regedit

Feb 21, 2020
So i wanted to make my default installation location my second disk, so i found this video (
View: https://youtu.be/LWEpXMBAtHg
) and did what it said, and now nothing on my c disk will open, everything on my e disk works perfectly tho (my second disk) i made a restore point but it wont open and work. Please help, i tried reseting but it doesnt work either, I dont know what to do

Solution
I fixed my computer, but my games kept crashing every so often, so i downloaded MSI afterburner and it had the setting where once you launch windows its activated already activated and i didnt realize so i fixing the over clock that it had on it and it crashed. Now my pc wont turn on, it did and i went back into and tried to reset the settings but it didnt work and now my pc wont turn on. just it just break?

1st thing to try is to reset the BIOS by either using the jumper pins or taking the small circular battery out for about 1 minute then putting it back in. It can be found ON the motherboard.

Try this and see if it boots up. You probably crashed due to the GPU overclock and AB is not configured to revert back to the...

USAFRet

Titan
Oh my....that one one seriously bad idea.
That "tutorial" should never be followed.

Trying to force a different drive to be the "default" of everything always ends up like this..

Unless you have a full drive backup you can recover from, from before you did this...you're looking at a full wipe and reinstall.
I know of no way to "fix" this. You have hosed up the internals of the OS and its functionality.

Feb 21, 2020
Oh my....that one one seriously bad idea.
That "tutorial" should never be followed.

Trying to force a different drive to be the "default" of everything always ends up like this..

Unless you have a full drive backup you can recover from, from before you did this...you're looking at a full wipe and reinstall.
I know of no way to "fix" this. You have hosed up the internals of the OS and its functionality.
so i cant do nothing?
the drive has nothing good on it, could i simply remove it from my pc ?

Feb 21, 2020
Which drive?
The OS itself needs a full reinstall.

How many drives are in this system?
I have a main drive and then a ssd, and the ssd is the one i messed with, could i unplug it and would that fix anything?
Also how would i reinstall, ive tryied factory restarting and that doesnt work

USAFRet

Titan
I have a main drive and then a ssd, and the ssd is the one i messed with, could i unplug it and would that fix anything?
Also how would i reinstall, ive tryied factory restarting and that doesnt work
No, that will not fix anything. The Registry in the OS is hosed.

You need to do an actual full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

What drives are in this, and what drive is the OS on?

USAFRet

Titan
Disconnect ALL drives except for what you want the OS to be on, and...

Feb 21, 2020
ok i really hope this works, thanks man

Feb 21, 2020
Im really not the best with pc, how do i disconnect the drive

Windows recovery will fix some problems, but it's not going to fix a registry hack that changed the location of where the OS thinks everything is at, and it isn't. And even if it fixes SOME of it, it's NOT going to fix it all. It is not even worth the time or effort, in my opinion, to mess with it. Just do a clean install and be done with it. Yes, you are going to lose some stuff, but to be blunt, you should have thought of that (If it is a problem) long before you started modifying things in the registry if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

Furthermore, if you don't know how to disconnect a drive or connect a drive, then it might be best if you either found some assistance from somebody who DOES have some knowledge in this area or took it to a repair shop and had them do it for you. It's not that it's difficult, it's that you seem unsure of yourself and THAT usually leads to bigger problems.

If you can figure out how to disconnect the secondary drive by unplugging it's SATA cable and then figure out how to create installation media using the Media creation tool as outlined in my guide, then you might stand a chance of getting Windows installed and if anybody here is likely to be able to talk you though this it's USAFRet, but I gotta be honest, it's not looking good right now given what you already did PLUS "how to I disconnect a drive".

Feb 21, 2020
Windows recovery will fix some problems, but it's not going to fix a registry hack that changed the location of where the OS thinks everything is at, and it isn't. And even if it fixes SOME of it, it's NOT going to fix it all. It is not even worth the time or effort, in my opinion, to mess with it. Just do a clean install and be done with it. Yes, you are going to lose some stuff, but to be blunt, you should have thought of that (If it is a problem) long before you started modifying things in the registry if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

Furthermore, if you don't know how to disconnect a drive or connect a drive, then it might be best if you either found some assistance from somebody who DOES have some knowledge in this area or took it to a repair shop and had them do it for you. It's not that it's difficult, it's that you seem unsure of yourself and THAT usually leads to bigger problems.

If you can figure out how to disconnect the secondary drive by unplugging it's SATA cable and then figure out how to create installation media using the Media creation tool as outlined in my guide, then you might stand a chance of getting Windows installed and if anybody here is likely to be able to talk you though this it's USAFRet, but I gotta be honest, it's not looking good right now given what you already did PLUS "how to I disconnect a drive".
Well the person who showed me the video made my pc, so i thought i could trust him. Im not a computer person so of course i dont know things, i messed up and im asking for help and some solutions. i never have had a pc before because my family could never afford it. Im really pissed cause i thought someone who built a pc would be able to help me, i simply just wanted to move <Mod Edit> to another disk and now rendered my first decent pc useless. Nothing opens besides csgo, chrome, and the settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2020

I cant get into the control panel to add the new SSD that i have. I removed the other one and tried to see if that would work but nope... so im really pissed. Ive been having problems with the games too, they keep crashing. Fortnite just crashes randomly. I just want to game with out <Mod Edit> messing up but i just have bad luck and <Mod Edit> friends

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so you said this was a prebuilt PC. Now you say this person "made my PC". Those two things are completely contradictory.

Prebuilt PC means it was assembled and configured by some company somewhere, whether someone like Dell, HP or whether a boutique prebuilt manufacturer like CyberpowerPC, but if somebody you know built it, then it is not a prebuilt PC.

Yes, I really think you need help from somebody, in person, who ACTUALLY knows what they are doing and has worked on computers before. The person you said made your PC and then suggested that crappy advice to you, yeah, not them.

Feb 21, 2020
Ok, so you said this was a prebuilt PC. Now you say this person "made my PC". Those two things are completely contradictory.

Prebuilt PC means it was assembled and configured by some company somewhere, whether someone like Dell, HP or whether a boutique prebuilt manufacturer like CyberpowerPC, but if somebody you know built it, then it is not a prebuilt PC.
It was a prebuilt by hp that a friend upgraded...

Feb 21, 2020

Yes, I really think you need help from somebody, in person, who ACTUALLY knows what they are doing and has worked on computers before. The person you said made your PC and then suggested that crappy advice to you, yeah, not them.
Didnt mean to say make, its really late and im very annoyed cause i want to relax and game but now i cant.

USAFRet

Titan
Bottom line, your whole system needs to be wiped and reinstalled.

But - your initial foray into the Registry, and then "how do i disconnect the drive " leads us to suggest you find someone local to help you.
And NOT your idiot friend who led you to that utube video.

You mention "Ive been having problems with the games too, they keep crashing. ".
Was this before the Registry thing? If so, that's another black mark against your friend.
When he replaced the motherboard, I'm guessing he did nothing with the OS?

Anyway...this whole thing needs a full wipe and reinstall.
We can try to talk you through it, but its not looking good.

Feb 21, 2020
Bottom line, your whole system needs to be wiped and reinstalled.

But - your initial foray into the Registry, and then "how do i disconnect the drive " leads us to suggest you find someone local to help you.
And NOT your idiot friend who led you to that utube video.

You mention "Ive been having problems with the games too, they keep crashing. ".
Was this before the Registry thing? If so, that's another black mark against your friend.
When he replaced the motherboard, I'm guessing he did nothing with the OS?

Anyway...this whole thing needs a full wipe and reinstall.
We can try to talk you through it, but its not looking good.
If your willing to help that would be great!

From Windows recovery the OP can go to the command prompt and open the registry editor (regedit) and reverse the hack.