i might have destroyed my new gigabyte p35 ds3 :(

johnny digital

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
hi

i was downloading new drivers from gigabyte's website and decided to download a new bios update.

the bios update came with 3 files: a .bat and .exe and other file i believe to be the bios update file

thinking it was the atboot setup, i clicked on the .bat file and it promptly started to install the bios update without asking further questions :(

its been doing so for about 1 hour. never any bios update took so long. i fear the process might have crashed. :(

what should i do? should i cancel the process and run atboot (the version with the windows interface) and do a re-install of the update?

any sugestions? maybe i should just chill out and wait for it to finish :)

thanks

joão

johnny digital

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
ok

no worries

i canceled the dos window it was running in and run atbios just in case and everything is fine

and my bios is up to date too hehe :)

akhilles

Splendid
Just so you know, you can use the BIOS update to update bios. I always boot to BIOS & hit a key to enter the update utility, insert floppy.

BTW, do NOT write protect the floppy. Some BIOS updaters will destroy the bios if it can't back it up on floppy.

G

I tried doing that bios updater with a thumb drive... Wouldn't work on my DS3R. Think I have to format the drive somehow, but everything works fine so I'm not worried.

Lone Star

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
I also had a problem updating from a USB flash drive, but if you enter Qflash from the Gigabyte splash screen using <End> the flash drive should show up as an HDD. If your actual HDD(s) are NTFS they won't show up at all.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

You know if you read the info about the BIOS update, im willing to bet $100 it says "do not run me in a dos box". Why? Cause bad things can happen. So yeah.. RTFM.