I might have fried my entire PC

Apr 29, 2018
Hey guys,
So just earlier today I removed my CPU water block to put on some thermal paste (I know I should have done that first) and everything went well, however when I was going to adjust the tubing to remove any kinks, I pushed a power cable over (It was in the way of my arm) and it made contact with the motherboard, short-circuiting it. It did make a sound, and immediately everything shutoff. The computer won't boot, the motherboard doesn't light up, the fans don't turn on as well as the loop pump. If there's a fuse to replace (Don't yell at me if that's not a thing) then that would be fine, but if I just fried my 350 dollar CPU and other components then I am truly, as they say. F*****.
Specs,
i7-8700K Unlocked
Gigabyte Z370 D3 Motherboard
No graphics card was installed (yet)
256GB Samsung Evo M.2 Nvme SSD.

Apr 29, 2018

Thanks for the reply,
I have an EVGA 650 watt 80+ Bronze PSU, and a custom water loop.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
Why were you replacing the thermal paste while the PC was on? Also why was there a power cable with exposed connectors? General rule of thumb is if your hands are in the system then the system is powered off, better if the power supply is switched off.

Best case scenario you only fried the motherboard, worst case there isn't a single part that wasn't affected. I'd start with the PSU and motherboard and work out from there. CPU's are Generally the hardest thing to kill but in this case I wouldn't be surprised.

Apr 29, 2018

The PC was turned off when I was applying the paste, but then I turned it on but went to fix a kink in the water cooling.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished

ahh, that makes entirely more sense. What wire has exposed leads in your system? That being said I think USAFRet has his doctors hat on the right way this time.

Apr 29, 2018

I'm surprised that there is nothing on the motherboard to prevent something like this from happening, then again I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished

motherboards have advanced a long way, however most of the protection is built into the peripheral connections as far as i know. you could try with a new power supply, I've seen boards take some pretty big shocks when in the case, but iv'e also seen boards that have no reason to be broken simply light up whenever they are connected to power.

Deal-or-die

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
I Definitely think you'd be better off just checking it there's a reset on your PSU or replacing PSU prior to replacing anything else, if no fans or anything are turning on my guess its just the PSU that's up the creek.