I miss when I didnt have a good computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this sounds silly, but I miss when I didnt have a good computer lol.

I used to have so much fun figuring out issues I had, even though I would be so stressed out about them.

It was so fun finding games that could run on my old computer and the surprise I felt when they ran good. I found so many good games that I played for years simply because I was able to run them.

I miss wishing I could have better stuff, I mean I still could have better stuff but its just not the same lol.

I have no idea why I feel like this lol. Maybe its nostalgia? My 1st experiences with a computer and learning how they work and getting so excited by figuring out something simple.

Now it just feels like I know "most" of what I need to know for what I do on computers, and I can run all the new games well. Theres no surprises. Well, theres some sometimes but they are far between than they used to be. Theres no more late nights scowering the internet on how to make my games run better on a 1gb video card. No more .ini file edits, because everything just runs well now.

Anybody else ever feel like this at some point?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Felt that way? No.

However, I do understand your nostalgia. There was a time when fine tuning was much more a necessity. Overcoming hardware limitations took a lot of time and (often) failure, but you learned a lot along the way.

It is certainly much easier/different today.

Reactions: Jason H.
Felt that way? No.

However, I do understand your nostalgia. There was a time when fine tuning was much more a necessity. Overcoming hardware limitations took a lot of time and (often) failure, but you learned a lot along the way.

It is certainly much easier/different today.

Ive been thinking about going to school for computers because I just love tinkering with them so much.

I dont really have a lot of spare cash to buy parts as a hobby, and theres nothing to fix on mine lol.

I mean of course other than a couple upgrades I have in the works but yano, nothing major.

I just miss the days when finding a hidden gem of info on the internet would give me a 5fps boost, and I was acutally excited about it lol. I mean now that I have everything I want, going from 180-185 fps just doesnt give me the same feeling as figuring out how to get it to go from 55-60 lol.

Its weird but I think nostalgia is getting to me lol. Maybe Im having a mid life crisis Im 1 year away from being 30 lol.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have very little nostalgia for the bad old days of getting a game and having to mess with your system for HOURS installing and just trying to get the game to run.

Ah that was fun... and I never ever want to go back to it.

I think I understand what you mean. I enjoy a challenge and problem solving but it doesn’t need to be pc gaming, especially when the idea is 100% yours.

I have fond memories of a few things where I impressed myself with problem solving. About 8 years ago I had a 2003 MG ZR (car) and the computer developed a fault whereby the horn was stuck on. A replacement ECU was about the same price the car was worth before fitting and I wanted to fix before trading the car in at a dealer. I got the wiring diagram for the car and using my basic electrical knowledge from school and that my dad had taught me I devised a plan using a relay to rewire the switch and horn through the relay and bypassing the ECU. I was nervous about what I was doing but it worked perfectly for 6 months until I traded the car in.

I have many fond memories of overcoming challenges with model aircraft too. I liked to compete but didn’t have the money for competition grade equipment, it lead to some interesting solutions. I remember really annoying an adult (I was under 16) who had a glider setup probably worth over £2k and I beat him with a £200 setup.

I do a lot of finance system projects these days for work and get a real sense of satisfaction from completion of these. There can be difficult challenges to overcome.

I wouldnt go back to those days. I love being able to turn on my PC and know it will be able to do what I want.

I just miss the good ol days when everything was new to me and simple fixes seemed like a big deal or like I was saying, finding a 5fps increase in a game that runs like crap because your system isnt supposed to even play it anyways lol. Ahhhhh the days lol.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can sort of relate. But in a different way. Its like having the best gear in an MMORPG and not having any reason to keep playing.
Getting what you think you want may not be what you actually need. I learned that via mmorpg so my example isn't without life lessons :)

I also wish I could play some games again for the 1st time without knowing everything about them already. Inspiration for my avatar is such a game

Never had best lvl PC, had close before but I can't justify the costs of getting bleeding edge. I tinkered with software, less expensive in long run.

I learn something new every week answering questions on here.

I can sort of relate. But in a different way. Its like having the best gear in an MMORPG and not having any reason to keep playing.
Getting what you think you want may not be what you actually need. I learned that via mmorpg so my example isn't without life lessons :)

I also wish I could play some games again for the 1st time without knowing everything about them already. Inspiration for my avatar is such a game

Never had best lvl PC, had close before but I can't justify the costs of getting bleeding edge. I tinkered with software, less expensive in long run.

I learn something new every week answering questions on here.

Thats the best comparison! Thats the exact feeling Im having! I mean Im still very much into computers. I just miss the days when I had a computer to fix haha

Colif

Win 11 Master
Unless you one of these people that needs to tinker to fix it, plenty of problems on these forums that might use your insight. :)

Your new PC now will be old soon enough. My current one feels new to me and its almost 5 years old now. How time flies.

Unless you keep upgrading GPU there will come a day when the 2060 can't cope. That is unless you like me and don't play games, then a 980 is probably good enough for what I use it for - powering my 4k monitor. Having an ssd means my PC has never felt slow.

Unless you one of these people that needs to tinker to fix it, plenty of problems on these forums that might use your insight. :)

Your new PC now will be old soon enough. My current one feels new to me and its almost 5 years old now. How time flies.

Unless you keep upgrading GPU there will come a day when the 2060 can't cope. That is unless you like me and don't play games, then a 980 is probably good enough for what I use it for - powering my 4k monitor. Having an ssd means my PC has never felt slow.

I guess I just love tinkering and maybe thats where this is coming from.

And yea I go through new posts all the time and try to share some knowledge on things I know. Even got some best answers too :)

Which, while your here, I have a problem on another thread I cant seem to figure out. Most places online I see the 3800x with stock cooler Prime95 small fft, hits about 77-85c. And in some places I see Cinebench gave the 3800x on stock cooler a 73c.

Mine was hitting about 85-92c, so I upgraded the cooler to a Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b. and prime95 gets 82c. Cinebench r20 gets 77-79c. Furmark CPU burn test gets like 77-78c. Aida 64 was 80-81c. And I just feel those numbers are what the stock cooler should be, but Im using a supposidly much better cooler. Heres the link to the thread if ANYONE could please shed some insight on this. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-temps-on-a-3800x.3586159/#post-21651613 Ive tried quite a few different things as you can see in the thread.

Last edited:

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
oh good you want that feeling again.

trying getting the dos game x-com to play on a modern computer without getting the newer cd or digital downloads thats been adjusted for new pc's.

Hi Jason you remind me of myself , I have been a pc geek for 17 years , when I got my first one I got a virus within 10 minutes cos I had no idea what I was doing lol. Anyway I self taught and then began helping others like you have been doing , I cant remember how many thankyou bottles of wine I have drunk over the years.
My wife used to get mad when problem solving and my answer was always the same ….. I am not going to let a few wires and bits of metal beat me . How I miss those days. As somebody else has said join forums like this and keep scanning problem pages.

Because of some abuse on another site I some times put a disclaimer ...… I say I have printed this for you to read it is up to you to decide what your next move is.

Status
Not open for further replies.