[SOLVED] I missed the Dev Preview Edition exit deadline. Can I use a pre-update backup to upgrade?

Raybo58

Honorable
Jun 13, 2016
I read that we were supposed to be getting emails from MS letting us know when we should leave the insider program before its release locked us out of being able to perform in-place upgrades. I've received many emails from MS over the months I've been testing Windows 11, but not a single one about the Insider Program or the official release. I wasn't following tech media much lately because of reasons, so I missed the deadline.

Now, everything I read is telling me I have to do a clean install to get the release version of Win 11. I use my system for a lot of creative work and it takes me weeks after a clean install to get all my apps in order and tweaked the way I like them. I DO have a full system backup from before I entered the Dev Program. So my question is, will recovering my backup image enable me to perform a regular upgrade or will I be placed back in the Dev release path as soon as I sign into my Microsoft account, which is what my license is linked to?

Solution
hi, from dev channel only way to get to normal release or different insider channel is by reinstalling windows
https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-program

what you expecting is for beta channel, there you can stop previews and over time it will go back to normal builds (or you can uninstall some beta updates to go back to normal build faster)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dev channel versions different enough to release version to need reinstall to get back to normal.

I think only fast way out of beta is a clean install, but then if you leave program you still get updates but maybe nothing else. I left the beta program 1 day before win 11 released.

Last edited:

Raybo58

Honorable
Jun 13, 2016
@Colif @kerberos_20

I finally pulled the trigger and it worked without a hitch. Made a fresh backup first, just to be safe, and then restored one from before I entered the Dev Program. Then I did an in-place install of Windows 11 with an ISO I made from the Media Creation Tool and Bob's Yer Uncle. Saved me weeks of installations, configurations, and tweaking.