[SOLVED] I moved to Spectrum, so the modem has to be in the living room

Jan 7, 2019
My modem used to be in the office where I have 2 desktop computers, DSL was coming in on the phone line. Now with Spectrum, the modem is near the big screen TV, and the router is in the office. I have one cat5 cable running between the 2. This is a base 10 arrangement, which only uses 2 pair. I want to add my Netflix to the TV. Can I or is there a way to use the other two pair to go from my router to my Blue ray player?

Solution
Maybe put the router by the modem and then use a AP or a second router running as a AP in the office.

Your other option rather than messing with pair splitting is to use vlans. You would need a switch on each end. The cable between the 2 locations would have multiple vlans on it via tagging. You could use one vlan to provide the connection between the modem and router and a second vlan to feed the traffic back from the lan port of the router to other devices connected to the switch.
Maybe put the router by the modem and then use a AP or a second router running as a AP in the office.

Your other option rather than messing with pair splitting is to use vlans. You would need a switch on each end. The cable between the 2 locations would have multiple vlans on it via tagging. You could use one vlan to provide the connection between the modem and router and a second vlan to feed the traffic back from the lan port of the router to other devices connected to the switch.

Solution