I must be stupid!

G

I bought the Retail AMD 1.2 Gig chip, but I can not figure out how to get the heatsink installed. The heatsink has a metal strap that shaped like a flattend out "U" with a hole on each end. One side has a lip by the hole the other side does not. The instructions say to hook the end without the lip first then push down and in using two finger to latch the other side. I push with a fair amount of force but can not get the other hole down far enought to latch on to anything. I do not want to damage the processor by pushing too hard. Am I just not pushing hard enough or am I doing something wrong?

big-b

G

There are supposed to be lips on both sides of the CPU socket for attaching the heat sink clip. If your motherboard doesn't have them, you're either putting the thing on in the wrong orientation or you've got a broken motherboard. It does take a LOT of force get the clip to latch on the second side. You have to push it just about all the way to the surface of the motherboard to get it under the lip. Be careful if you use a tool to push the clip down. You don't want to slip and put a nick in the motherboard. That could suck.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure the clip isn't hung up high on the heat sink. Sometimes they do that and you have to wiggle them back down in the heat sink track so they will latch. The bottom of the "U" should be touching on the top of the heat sink. If not, move it down till it does before you try and latch it. And yes, for gosh sakes, don't push too hard on the CPU!

Scout

G

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/23986.pdf" target="_new">Heatsink Installation Guide</A>

G

Upside down... Heh, I was thinking the same thing...The clip should have a hole on each end that would look like it would hook on the socket lugs...

G

I was able to get it installed... It just required more force then I thought would be needed. The link that someone posted up above shows them using a screwdriver to push the clip down. I did not think of that, I just used my thumb. Everything seems fine and booted up with no problems. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

And no I did not have it upside down! : )

big-b