[SOLVED] I must rant about automatically deleted files during Windows 10 update

Feb 16, 2021
It's my first time I'm updating Windows 10 directly from download rather than check for updates, and for whatever reason during update, it deletes the entire Windows.old directory...like wt-?!! I still need those files . . who in their right mind designs it this way and thinks everyone should have that folder automatically cleared upon the update? I've got most of the files backed up, but it's still a pain to go through it all. If there's any devs/mods who can pass this on to who needs to hear it, please do so ... this has got to be one of the weirdest encounters I've gone through using Windows. For the love of God, fix it!

There, short & sweet--that wasn't so bad.

Solution
Every 6 months windows 10 gets a version update. This is essentially a brand new install of Windows 10 with the latest version. It is how it keeps you on latest patches and keeps you from needing to install every patch since it was released.
In that process it creates windows.old that contains all the old files replaced by the update. All of your files should still exist outside of windows.old. You shouldn't need to use the files in Windows.old at all and normally 14 days after the version update, Windows.old will be auto deleted by windows.

No need to report to any devs, its working as intended.

Don't use WIndows.old for anything. its only a temporary folder. Plenty of folders outside of there that won't get removed.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Yes, it would delete the previous Windows.old. It may or may not have created a new one, depending on what this specific Win 10 update was.
  2. Why are you keeping files in there? That usually goes away in 30 days by itself.
  3. Why oh why do you not have actual backups? Especially when doing a major OS update?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every 6 months windows 10 gets a version update. This is essentially a brand new install of Windows 10 with the latest version. It is how it keeps you on latest patches and keeps you from needing to install every patch since it was released.
In that process it creates windows.old that contains all the old files replaced by the update. All of your files should still exist outside of windows.old. You shouldn't need to use the files in Windows.old at all and normally 14 days after the version update, Windows.old will be auto deleted by windows.

No need to report to any devs, its working as intended.

Don't use WIndows.old for anything. its only a temporary folder. Plenty of folders outside of there that won't get removed.

Solution