Question I my PSU dying?

Neofit

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hi,

Technically it's my 1080ti that seems to be dying, but with the current scarcity and prices on the graphics card market, I want to make 110% sure :).

My whole system is new, replaced a week ago, except for the Corsair RM 650 PSU and the 1080ti. Today the PC suddenly froze with a white screen with a few colored pixels. Upon rebooting, nothing happens, no POST. I can remove it or wiggle it, and it will boot, but then freeze during POST with artefacts, or after a few minutes in Windows. Then maybe not boot, then maybe let me back into Windows out of kindness.

I thought it could be the PCI slot itself, but my old 780 is working fine it this last hour. But then again it does not weigh as much as the 1080ti with the Inno3D fans.

I've moved the card onto another rail on the PSU using another cable, same thing. I've moved it onto the other PCI slot so it nearly touches the PSU and is blocked by SATA cables, and it did it again, so there is no way that it's its weight that is pulling out of a maybe slightly defective upper PCI slot.

Grasping at straws here, but could it be that the PSU has been slowly dying and cannot give enough power to the 1080ti? It has had a few years of hard gaming under its rails. Is there a way to test this without buying extra equipment (it would be cheaper to buy a new PSU than the equipment I guess :) ).

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build since you've mentioned it to be recycled from an older build? When you speak of migrating to a new platform, did you reinstall the OS once you got onto the new motherboard/platform/build? If not, the first order of business is to make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version then reinstall Windows 10 after fabricating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Neofit

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Of course I did reinstall windows from scratch :), and the latest BIOS has been "ezflashed" even before that. As for the PSU purchase date I cannot find the mail nor the bill. So either it was with my previous motherboard purchase in 2015 or somewhere after the previous one purchased in 2010.