Question I need a bit of assistance with Synology DS220j, please

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, got it set up and running, got the disks in it which it formatted in it's little proprietary format. It defaulted to a 'mirror' in RAID. I have created a shared folder and migrated information to it. I am having a bit of trouble with the interface and access though. I am trying to access it via a Windows 10 computer. My entire network sees each other, all my folder access and shared folders on all my other machines are fully and trouble free operable.

If I "surf" to it via a browser window I have all the controls and settings and so forth. I have no issues doing so and the admin account/password work fine each individual access for two days now. No problem there.

The only way that I can seem to find in the "help" tutorials to have local access to this unit is by mapping a network drive. I am having an issue where it keeps dropping out and asking me to re-enter my credentials to access it this way. Clicking the "remember me" does nothing and it will pop up a message about multiple users trying to log in with the same credentials as "forbidden". I only have admin account and password, guest is disabled. I have also noted that it simply will not allow what it considers a weak password. I really don't want to go through and create new user profiles and such for what in my mind should be a simple plug and play action. Nothing that will be on this unit is critical or a security risk to me. I would love if it would just allow free password-less access to the shared file. I tried turning on read only guest access and cannot get it to work in any fashion.

At this time all I want is LAN access. I would love if it would show up as an icon in the "PC" area of the network tab in explorer where it could be clicked and show the shared folder. I do not want to use multiple user access or to have multiple folders at this time. I simply want to be able to click it and see files. Even if I must go along on the mapped drive route (which it seems to be) then I need to figure out why it keeps booting me off and refusing my password and/or not allowing me to set the remember me check box.

Help appreciated.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just as some more information on this.

I have a group of computers which all have local access to one another. When I originally set up to connect to them I simply selected "use different credentials", hit "remember me" and that was that. This unit seems not to be remembering those settings for some reason.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I dug through the settings along with a search window and was able to find how to disable the password strength issue. It will not allow me access without a password, but was able to create a simple one for the share.

I do not know if I have solved the issue with it logging me out and asking for credentials again as I have been using it constantly since posting, digging around. I changed a few of the power settings and WOL so we shall see.

TRENDING THREADS