Question I need a complete new system, what CPU should I get first?

Oct 16, 2019
I have an old system. Essential components are

i5 3570K
P8Z77 Deluxe
Corsair H60 AIO cooler
Corsair HX 850
Corsair Dominator 1333 2 x 4GB
GTX 570

I play Battlefield V, For Honour, Final Fantasy XV and Company of Heroes II. Very slow all of these titles and never manage to get 60+ FPS.

I want to have a completely new system. To start with, what CPU should I get? Hopefully, the new system will be able to handle Cyberpunk 2077 at at least Very High settings along with all the above mentioned titles.

Have used AMD CPUs before and not very great experience so AMD needs not apply.

Thanks!

If money is not an issue for pure gaming, the 9700K matched to the z390 motherboard. For great value, the Ryzen 3600 and even the Ryzen 2600 matched to a B450 motherboard as the Ryzen 2600 has dropped so much in price and can be upgraded at a later date, especially if money is tight!...

Reactions: WildCard999
Have used AMD CPUs before and not very great experience so AMD needs not apply.
Presumably you've used AMD cpus that are older than your current CPU? If you're making the "no AMD" decision based on that, then you're shortchanging yourself.

Aside from that, what's your current monitor's specifications? Are you planning on changing that as well?

I think currently, your GPU is the biggest thing holding you back.

Reactions: WildCard999

InvalidError

Titan
I want to have a completely new system. To start with, what CPU should I get? Hopefully, the new system will be able to handle Cyberpunk 2077 at at least Very High settings along with all the above mentioned titles.
You will need something much faster than a GTX570 (worse than a GTX1050Ti) for most modern games at very high/ultra graphics settings, so you would likely benefit more from upgrading that first.

InvalidError

Titan
What's your budget? I'd say a r5 2/3600 with a B450 max motherbard, 16Gb 3000MHz RAM and either a RTX 2060 Super or a RX 5700, depending if you want RTX would do well.
AMD will be adding RT support to Navi in the near-future, Nvidia's days of premature RT support monopoly may be numbered. Wonder how well AMD's shader-based RT is going to fare compared to the RTX's handicap.

Oct 16, 2019
Among other things.

Most games are lightly threaded, so you can expect a ~50% increase there. Some (like BFV) are more heavily threaded and you can expect a 2X bump in those.
~50% , 2X relative to my current i5 3570K you're saying?

The best chipset for the CPU should be Z390 am I correct?

InvalidError

Titan
Yes, it is ~50% over your current potato.

9000-series Intel chips can work on z370 boards too, the main reason for getting a z390 is to avoid issues with boards requiring a BIOS update first which can ruin your day if you don't have a spare 8000-series chip to update a z370 board with.

Oct 16, 2019
Thanks folks.
I just borrowed a RX 570 from my Cousin. BF V now worked GREAT! ~58 @ Ultra, I can't believe my eyes.

Now it is as clear as the white blue sky: modern games almost don't depend on the CPU! This is an 7 years old CPU and it can play BF V at Ultra!!

Now I finally believe those videos showing a i3 8100 + RX 580 makes 90+ in BF V; to b honest previously I thought that was a make-up/fake.

So, why would I buy a high end Intel CPU now? An i3 8100 just costs about $125

Oct 16, 2019
Hi folks,

The big day has finally came. Today, I have purchased

1. Intel Core i5- 9600K
  2. Asus ROG Strix Z390-F
I was nearly convinced by the performance of 9350KF when I saw a video showing the gaming benchmark of a 8350K. Then I thought why do I spend $120 more on the 9600K given that overclocking 9350KF to 5,0GHz is possible. Until I watched that video over and over again I noticed that 2 games stutter.

To save the trouble and hassle, I just then decided to go for the 9600K. Hope my decision is right.

As to the reason of choosing Z390 and the ROG Strix version, some might say is that really necessary, that's nearly the top ROG Strix board of Asus. My thinking process is as follows:

Should the 9600K last for 5+ years, then so be it. Should 9700K and even 9900K drop by 10% next year when 10th gen comes out and 9600K fails to work because of some AAA titles handicapping it, then I can still have a board which can cope with the 9700K and 9900K.

Now I want to know though, what sort of overclocked temperature of the 9600K @ 5.0GHz? It's because I need a 120mm AIO or a 240mm AIO for that temperature? Anyone can advise? Thanks!

Reactions: vMax

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS