[SOLVED] I need a computer for casual use, would this be a good one?

Nov 13, 2019
My hard drive went out and I play small puzzle games, do genealogy and store lotsof pictures. Would the below be a good computer for me ?
Condition: Seller refurbished :
Seller Notes: “We refurbish our computers, tablets and smartphones based on functionality. Our refurbished products may have signs of normal usage or scratching, dents and dings cosmetically that tend to vary based on the age of the Product. The images of the products are in house stock photos and may vary slightly from the product you receive.We do our absolute best to describe our products accurately. Please note that some information may vary slightly from the standard or stock specifications we use and display here.”
Model:
360/380/745/755
Bundled Items: Keyboard🐭USB Wifi Adapter
Modified Item: No Custom Label: 62122
Operating System: Windows 10 Storage Type: HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
Custom Bundle: Yes Brand:
Dell
Form Factor: Desktop Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Most Suitable For: Casual Computing Features: DVD, Optical Drive
Hardware Connectivity: USB 2.0, VGA Product Line: Optiplex
SSD Capacity: Not Applicable Manufacturer warranty: 1 Year Warranty from Discount Computer Depot
Bundle Description: Build your Own Bundle! Select the Components you wish to Purchase:) MPN:
dellcustom

Solution
I just bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop last week. It has an I7 CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 480 GB SSD and 4 USB 3 ports. That's much better suited to my needs, but since you didn't say what CPU or how much RAM your system has, it's hard to compare. I wouldn't want anything that didn't have USB 3 ports, at least an I5 CPU, and at least 8 GB. For my purposes 480 GB is more than adequate, and it's so much faster than HDDs.
I do believe the refurbished Dell computers are a bargain.
I just bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop last week. It has an I7 CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 480 GB SSD and 4 USB 3 ports. That's much better suited to my needs, but since you didn't say what CPU or how much RAM your system has, it's hard to compare. I wouldn't want anything that didn't have USB 3 ports, at least an I5 CPU, and at least 8 GB. For my purposes 480 GB is more than adequate, and it's so much faster than HDDs.

Reactions: conuia1
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Old, lower end version of Core 2 Duo, doesn't state how much RAM, so I'm going to guess 2GB, maybe 4GB.

You might skate by with 4GB for very light use - and my Dad does so, but even that's on a more modern system (a 4th-generation i3 CPU, it's dual core, but 4 threads). My dad does some use of MS Word and Excel, web browsing to check his account, stock prices, and some online shopping, and watching some videos on YouTube.

He's never hit max usage of that 4GB of RAM, but even with his light usage, he has definitely exceeded 2GB usage.

So, I think I would advise against that PC.

What's your budget, and can you detail out more fully what your uses are?

Reactions: conuia1
Nov 13, 2019
Could you possibly email me at conuia1@aol.com, I believe I could use one like the one you bought. Thank You so much.

Could you possibly email me at conuia1@aol.com, I believe I could use one like the one you bought. Thank You so much.

I got mine from Micro Center here:

FWIW publishing your email address in a forum is a good way to get hacked, so it's a very risky thing to do.