[SOLVED] I need a dual-band access point - which one?

marjanbazalac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
Hey guys. I hope someone can me to choose an access point. So, I have this room in which I need 5ghz wifi, to use it for my local network multimedia center (I play a lot of movies from my NAS, using FireStick and my HTPC). I have a gigabit switch in that room, so I would like to route a lan cable from that switch to an access point. I don't want anything expensive, I don't need any advance options, I just need a dual-band signal from that switch and that access point, nothing else. So I found this option:

D-Link DAP-1610 AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender
AMZN says it's a range extender, but it has a gigabit lan port, and in youtube reviews they said it's an access point. And in the name there is a DAP, so I guess that stands for access point. Is it? And is it good for me?

On the other hand, AMZN for the one below says it is an access point. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two? The speed is the same, all I see is a bigger package.
:)
D-Link DAP-1665 Wireless AC1200

Or something like this:
TP-Link RE550 AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi

Solution
TPlink has good customer support if you would have issues and many people use the router so they could answer questions. On these old technology routers the chipset are very stable. Almost all manufactures use the same chipset from 2 or 3 major wifi chip makers. There is not much difference between brands.

There really isn't much difference between a AP device or using a router. The AP you linked is only sort of a AP. Most AP are powered via ethernet. You need these when you want for example to mount it on the ceiling where there is not place to plug in the power.

If you like those better they will work fine. A router tends to be cheaper only becuase there is more demand and they have to compete more. Not a lot...
Why do you need a actual AP. The key feature that a AP has is that is can be powered over ethernet in most cases.

Your cheapest option is a very simple router. Since you are looking at devices with a 1200 number you can likely get one for well under $50 and even less if you buy used.

Almost all routers have a option to run them as a AP. Any router can be used as a AP though it is just cabled to the lan port rather than wan. The other advantage of a router is that it has the extra lan ports so you might not need a switch.

marjanbazalac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
I do have a switch, so that extra option doesn't mean anything to me. Maybe before I bought the switch, but now...

Can you tell me what are disadvantages of using those APs in my post over using a router? Keep in mind that I don't need any advance options whatsover.

And, is this a good choice?
TP-Link Archer C6

Last edited:
TPlink has good customer support if you would have issues and many people use the router so they could answer questions. On these old technology routers the chipset are very stable. Almost all manufactures use the same chipset from 2 or 3 major wifi chip makers. There is not much difference between brands.

There really isn't much difference between a AP device or using a router. The AP you linked is only sort of a AP. Most AP are powered via ethernet. You need these when you want for example to mount it on the ceiling where there is not place to plug in the power.

If you like those better they will work fine. A router tends to be cheaper only becuase there is more demand and they have to compete more. Not a lot of people need a AP so they can get away with charging more....even the POE feature is not actually that expensive.

Solution
It is a very solid router many people liked it. It is pretty basic but it run 802.11ac 2x2 mimo (this is what the 1200 number means). The 1200 number matches what most end devices support so unless you have some fancy wifi device it will be fine. You should see rates at 300mbps or faster fairly near the AP.