I need a mobo for Cel II 667 fcpga

G

Is the Abit VH6-II any good? I need a mobo which FSB can be tweaked to 75 (my Celeron II 667 MHz to 750 MHz).

Should I get a different motherboard, since there isn't really that much difference in the prices?

Is an AGP 4x needed, since it's not even available on some of the new motherboards (BE-6-II)?

Please help, I don't like to buy something and realize later that it was crap.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Asus CUSL2-C. Has 4x AGP; however, the difference between 2x and 4x is not big at all.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I have a socket 370 processor.

What's the difference with the VIA and Intel chipsets?

The Abit VH6-II still looks nice, tell me why I shouldn't buy it :) (It's cheap and has the things I need)

Is the socket 370 to slot-1 converter a stable solution for overclocking, if I'd buy a slot-1 motherboard?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of the problems VIA has are limited to their AMD chipsets, but some of them affect PIII chipsets as well. You will get better performance and compatability out of the 815E chipset and the EP derivative. The CUSL2/CUSL2-C are the best right now for features and stability when overclocking, supporting over 200MHz FSB with cooling mods (some as simple as putting a dab of Artic Silver under the northbridge cooler), and over 160MHz without.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks for the help. I think I'll buy the Asus board on Monday (you people still got a few days to recommended me another one :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I won't change my mind. I researched the subject for 3 moths before I got mine, because an AMD experience had tought me to be cautious! I now have my PIII 700 at 933. It runs 980 stable, but I like to leave it lower so I can use lower voltage levels and make it last. I have tested it up to 1029 stable for 10 minutes, but it got very hot, so I shut it down. I don't want to be forced to use a loud cooling fan or switch cases just to get a little more out of it anyway.

Suicide is painless...........

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the Asus CUSL2 (based on i815e) is the best one for that, use the onboard 4x agp graphics now, you can upgrade to an external card anytime later!

girish

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have know via to be bad chipsets in the past but I am running the ax34 pro II baord via chipset and I have not had any problems with stability in fact I beleve this board to be one of the most stable I have ever had I have let it run for weeks without reboot and it has not crashed at all ever performance wise this is slightly lower than the 815 but not enough for me personaly to be concerned about. I am not saying that the 815 is bad I rocomend it all the time but I stand firm that the new via chipsets are a cost effective and viable alternative.

SANDMAN

TRENDING THREADS