I need a new CPU fan please help!

Gotbooze

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I bought my cyberpowerpc off walmart last year and i like it besides the terrible graphics card and the annoying CPU fan. I know cyberpowerpc has a 3 year warranty and I could get the CPU fan replaced but I am not sure that it will fix anything. It is a thermaltake cpu cooler and it is annoyingly loud. It is 70mm cooling my amd fx 4100. Can someone please provide me with some fan substitutes that are going to be quiet and still keep my cpu cool? My motherboard has a 4 pin setup though i have never worked with bios before.

Solution
From what you are saying, it seems to me that you're operating under a misconception. The cooler you currently have mounts to the motherboard horizontally... flat. The largest cooler of this style is a Noctua, which is 93x114mm, slightly smaller than the AMD footprint. The better coolers are not horizontal, the tower is Vertical. The base of a tower is Always smaller than the footprint, Always. Some of these towers can 'mushroom' and the fan(s) can overhang the ram, or other components of the motherboard. The only real concern with these towers is if they are actually short enough to fit inside the case once the side panel is replaced. So if your case specs say it will fit a cpu cooler height of 165mm then any tower that will fit an...

Gotbooze

Reputable
May 1, 2014
How can i add pictures because I would like to show you my rig since i do not know what type of motherboard i have. It does not seem like it would fit a 120mm fan at all and i just measured the fan size. from screw to screw its 60mm and from side to side its 70mm with the heatsink being 80mm

You can use imgur, and when you upload a picture it gives you a forum link, that once posted here will display the picture automatically.(Or similar)

Fans are measured side to side, so we will know for sure with the picture, as AMD stock and OEM sinks are very unique.

Gotbooze

Reputable
May 1, 2014
From side of the ram to the edge of my heatsink i have only 10mm room and ive never installed a fan or heatsink so im not sure how much room ill need on the other side but it looks like there are components on the motherboard that go right up next to my heatsink

Gotbooze

Reputable
May 1, 2014

What about the issue of my side fan being only about 14mm from my fan? In total that would only leave roughly 104mm for a heatsink.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your CPU cooler is a Thermaltake CL-P0503, 70mm, flat load cpu cooler (looks a lot like OEM), designed to handle up to 65w TDP. The FX-4100 is a 95w TDP. Its worth less than $9 brand new. Any decent fan is going to run you more than that. I'd suggest replacing the entire unit with one of quality before you burn up your cpu.

Edit: Any cpu cooler designed to fit AM2/AM3/AM3+ sockets will clear anything on your motherboard due to a 96x114mm no-mount zone "footprint" specified by AMD, standard for all AMD AM2/AM3/AM3+ socket motherboards. Only coolers whose towers exceed that will do so at a height taller than any component on the motherboard with the sole exception of some RAM, the ones that have non-standard heights.

Gotbooze

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Can you find any that would fit my motherboard? The ones that i am finding are longer and im not sure how it would fit. Would i have to take off the mounting bracket that my heatsink is hooked to?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
From what you are saying, it seems to me that you're operating under a misconception. The cooler you currently have mounts to the motherboard horizontally... flat. The largest cooler of this style is a Noctua, which is 93x114mm, slightly smaller than the AMD footprint. The better coolers are not horizontal, the tower is Vertical. The base of a tower is Always smaller than the footprint, Always. Some of these towers can 'mushroom' and the fan(s) can overhang the ram, or other components of the motherboard. The only real concern with these towers is if they are actually short enough to fit inside the case once the side panel is replaced. So if your case specs say it will fit a cpu cooler height of 165mm then any tower that will fit an AM3+ motherboard that has a total height of 165mm or less will fit.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Any cooler tower you get will come with its own mounting bracket, and its recommended you use the new one. Please read or watch every post or video on how to install a cou cooler before attempting, and this also includes learning about removal of old paste, cleaning the cpu, necessary precautions etc.