Question I need a new graphics card.

Michael_707

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
I was happy with the MSI GeoForce 1060 6G gaming graphics card but it is freezing with weird graohics effects after about 5 minutes. I noticed that once it recovered after a few minutes and I was able to save the game. Its over 6 years old.

I have a 850 watt power supply and a PCIe 3.0 slot. A PCIe 4.0 graphics card would work but would probably be wasted on my motherboard. since they doubled the bandwidth on PCI 4.0.

I was wondering what a good card would be to replace it.

Depends on what games you play and your budget.
An RTX 3060 or 3060Ti are good budget replacements that will definitely last you for a few years.

If you decide to go AMD:
An RX 6600 or 6600XT are cheaper 3060 equivalents.

Don't worry about Gen 3 to gen 4 tec specs, the amount of data you'll be using for basic gaming won't create any realistic bottlenecks. It's only an issue if you really need to use high data throughput applications.

What are the specs of the system? I think currently the best value in the market is probably the RX 6600 since you get almost 3060 performance for less cost than the rtx 3050. You could go 6600xt which is a fine card as well but I think the 6600 is only about 10% behind and that card costs more.

If you want 1440p, I’d look at the 3060ti, 6700xt or 3070 depending on budget. Personally I’ve got a 6700xt that I bought used for just over $400, and am using it at 1080p 144hz. It seems to perform very well for that purpose. But I did try a 6600xt before and that is a fine card as well. I think it’s hard to go wrong.

If you feel brave though and really want to save money I’m seeing used rx 6600 cards on eBay for $250, saw some 6600xt cards for $260 and 20 in shipping. I personally don’t mind used sometimes but some do. In the case of my card, it said it was a manufacturer refurbished card, but I paid 423 or so for it. It arrived in a plain box and looked brand new tbh. Never an issue with it whatsoever. Already played through the original tomb raider game with it, working on shadow of the tomb raider, then I still have the other one to play through after. Haven’t even touched ghost recon wildlands yet. If you can’t tell I hit the steam sale lol. But I got many of them under 10 dollars out right around there.

If you would decide to go with a used card I recommend buying through eBay since I think they have their money back guarantee. But make very sure to read the description carefully and check that the seller has good feedback so you have an idea what you are buying. But a lot of guys prefer new, I get it. I’ve had good luck the other way. It was too tempting to get the 6700xt as opposed to one of the lower cards lol.