Question i need a new PSu

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/76L4bX

bought a new 2060 which is still in the box, advised to buy a 80+ gold 550w psu which are 70+ pounds but as you can see the power in part picker is showing as 290+watts. I currently have a 1060 installed and a cpu overclock of 4.5ghz. can i get one that is bronze from one of the top 3 companys which will be like 25 30 cheaper seens as my power needs are not very high ? even my psu now has like 130w spare according to pc part picker

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/76L4bX

bought a new 2060 which is still in the box, advised to buy a 80+ gold 550w psu which are 70+ pounds but as you can see the power in part picker is showing as 290+watts. I currently have a 1060 installed and a cpu overclock of 4.5ghz. can i get one that is bronze from one of the top 3 companys which will be like 25 30 cheaper seens as my power needs are not very high ? even my psu now has like 130w spare according to pc part picker

tbh you "can" get any psu that is 550+

bronze, white, gold, platinum, etc are just better tiers (better efficency and built in pretections and brands may only have modularity on gold or higher)

ppl typically pick gold or higher, but Bronze (even the EVGA bronze that others seem to loathe) can work perfectly fine as i havent had nay issue with mine over years.

TL;DR long as it has the power, is a known quality brand, and has all the connectors you need it'll work fine.

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
tbh you "can" get any psu that is 550+

bronze, white, gold, platinum, etc are just better tiers (better efficency and built in pretections)

ppl typically pick gold or higher, but Bronze (even the EVGA bronze that others seem to loathe) can work perfectly fine as i havent had nay issue with mine over years.

TL;DR long as it has the power, is a known quality brand, and has all the connectors you need it'll work fine.
Best reply bro thanks alot

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok so you already have the CX-430. ya you can reuse it no problem so long as it has the pcie connections you need. it has 1 6+2 and that's what the card needs.

plenty of headroom so no need to replace the psu

many people recommend at least gold these days simply because they cost little more than bronze units. they don't really do much for the system overall but it's nice to have on the side of the unit :)

you really don't lose much not having the gold rating really. some will argue to the death over that statement but in the end there is no evidence i've ever seen that a gold rated unit saves more than a buck a year in power and maybe a couple degrees cooler as it runs. not worth a whole new unit when the one you have will work fine

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
ok so you already have the CX-430. ya you can reuse it no problem so long as it has the pcie connections you need. it has 1 6+2 and that's what the card needs.

plenty of headroom so no need to replace the psu

many people recommend at least gold these days simply because they cost little more than bronze units. they don't really do much for the system overall but it's nice to have on the side of the unit :)
so i could reuse my cx430w just to try the new gpu untill i get a new psu in a weeks time ?

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
those cooler master units are actually rather lackluster. clearly you like them but there are a lot better units out there for that price that i'd chose long before a master watt unit.

i'd never use one and would spend extra to not have to really.
can i try the new 2060 with my current psu to test it ? i would be getting something from corsair

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nothing to test really. it will work no problem. that's what i'm saying. no need to buy a new psu. you have plenty of power headroom and the connections needed for the new card so you're all set!!

if you want to buy a new psu, no problem at all. i can suggest a couple as well. but i thought you were hoping to not have to buy one :D

Reactions: gary_murphy101

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as a side note, i would like to point out that partpicker is showing about 300w power need. this is considering all the parts running at stock settings. so your oc of the cpu would be using more than that for sure.

not a ton more but more than the 95w stock tdp. it's probably closer to 130w with the oc as an educated guess. but you still got headroom even using about 330w power need. that is only about 75% of total power available and you won't be pulling that full power load anyway unless you are running torture tests on the system.

running a game would likely stay below 250w or so power draw.

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
that all i do is game !. i will knock my cpu overclock down and leave the gpu stock until i get my new psu. Out of all the threads i have opened on TH you have by far helped me the most. thank you sir

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem, it's why we're here.

just about anything from seasonic or superflower is gonna be a great unit. most of corsair's line except for the bare bones bronze units are also good.

stay away from no name brands and those flashy "super killer gaming" junk units as well. a 1000w power supply for $20 is 100% guarenteed to be a fire waiting to happen no matter how pretty the label on the side is.

Reactions: gary_murphy101

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
no problem, it's why we're here.

just about anything from seasonic or superflower is gonna be a great unit. most of corsair's line except for the bare bones bronze units are also good.

stay away from no name brands and those flashy "super killer gaming" junk units as well. a 1000w power supply for $20 is 100% guarenteed to be a fire waiting to happen no matter how pretty the label on the side is.
seasonic has some good prices to in the uk :D