[SOLVED] I need a PC doctor

Aug 6, 2020
If you are answering my call, the good news is I’m not bsoding, freezing, restarting, taking forever to boot my pc etc.

The issue I am having, is seeing benchmarks online for specific games I play, getting 60+ fps and I am not experiencing 60+ fps. I will have to lower my settings to medium or low. I’ll have to tune down shadows post processing etc. I can give 2 examples:

i tried to play outerworlds. Without adjusting anything - in the wilderness I get 60 fps at first. Throw in some enemies or enter a town —— starts to stutter, lag, low fps. Have to turn my graphics down so i can move around quickly.

The second one, I really dont get whats going on with my pc. Diablo 3. I ran an fps metter that says I’m getting 60fps - but it sure doesn’t feel like it. Sometimes it will run smooth as butter. Sometimes you can see mini stuttering.

Bonus example - its like my pc should* be running games like the pc version of skyrim, but its cranking out the 30fps xbox version.

If anyone is wanting to help tackle the problem, I’ll dig up my parts list and list everything I have. I have only made one adjustment in the bios, and that is for overclocking the cpu.

Solution
You want to make sure that your GPU is at least running at 1800MHz when under a consistent load. (it will likely run faster than 1800MHz because of GPU Boost3.0). Sometimes actual games aren't a fantastic test to determine this due to their inconsistent nature, but you should still check in gaming. A benchmark/stress testing software applies a more consistent load to the GPU so you can monitor frequency easily.

Same for the CPU. Make sure it's actually running at 4GHz when under load. If you manually OC'd it by setting the multiplier to 40x, then it should, but doesn't hurt to check.

If the CPU and/or GPU are thermal or power throttling under load, their respective operating frequency will reduce, and FPS will suffer.
We can't have any discussion without knowing your full system specs:
  • What CPU do you have?
  • What GPU do you have?
  • What monitor do you have?
  • What RAM do you have? (# of sticks, GB of each stick, MHz of each stick)
What system specs are the online benchmarks using? Simply finding someone that's benchmarking with your same GPU isn't comparable if there's a large disparity in CPU between you and the benchmarker.

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Have you checked CPU & GPU temps?
Have you monitored CPU and GPU operating frequency under load to make sure each component is running at the expected frequency?

Really just need the brand/model/etc of each component. If there's pictures accompanying that, it's fine. If it's ONLY pictures, that's going to take a lot of work from us to decipher a bunch of pictures into what actual component names they are.

Aug 6, 2020
  • What CPU do you have? I5-6600k I overclocked this to 4.0 ghz to try and fix my issues - still same issues
  • What GPU do you have? EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming 8GB GDDR6
  • What monitor do you have? ASUS - VA325H 31.5" IPS LED FHD Monitor - Black
  • What RAM do you have?G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GRK
What system specs are the online benchmarks using? An example site i’ve used is userbenchmark.com.

Is this a desktop or laptop? Desktop

Have you checked CPU & GPU temps? Yes, i can use the snipping tool when I am at my pc.

Have you monitored CPU and GPU operating frequency under load to make sure each component is running at the expected frequency? I’m not sure if I have completed this or not.

Please let me know whatever else you need. I’ve been banging my head against the wall(figuratively) because all i get is what other people experience online. They say my gpu should be running games at 60fps on at least high settings.

Ps: the benchmark website is stating my ram is underperforming because I may not have an xmp profile setting on.

pps: I have a solid state drive installed only. About 2 years ago my hdd failed on me. I disconnected it and put an ssd in my system 1 TB and its the only hardrive i have.

Yeah, an RTX2070 should have no issues with a 1080p monitor.

First things first - Do you have the monitor cable plugged into the RTX2070 card, or the ports in the rear IO panel of the motherboard?

What GPU driver are you using (from Nvidia's website)

Aug 6, 2020

First things first - Do you have the monitor cable plugged into the RTX2070 card, or the ports in the rear IO panel of the motherboard?

Hdmi from video card to monitor

60-70% CPU usage is fine. Presumably your GPU was closer to 90-100% during that test then, so you wouldn't be CPU limited in that specific scenario.

If you're CPU limited, there's a few things you can do:
  • Overclock the CPU
  • Buy a CPU with more cores
  • Turn off background processes like streaming/etc.
  • You can set CPU priority to a game(s) so that other tasks will have to wait to use the CPU for moments in time where the game isn't pegging the CPU.
  • Turn up the game quality settings to put more load on the GPU. (this won't increase your FPS, but it shouldn't lower it much either until the GPU reaches 100% utilization)
I'd still recommend monitoring CPU and GPU operating frequency to make sure both components are operating at their intended speeds.

Aug 6, 2020
I can try what you suggest for points 3-6. What do you mean by monitoring frequencies? - I know on the msi afterburner I can see frequencies, but I’ve never really understood/read about frequencies.

You want to make sure that your GPU is at least running at 1800MHz when under a consistent load. (it will likely run faster than 1800MHz because of GPU Boost3.0). Sometimes actual games aren't a fantastic test to determine this due to their inconsistent nature, but you should still check in gaming. A benchmark/stress testing software applies a more consistent load to the GPU so you can monitor frequency easily.

Same for the CPU. Make sure it's actually running at 4GHz when under load. If you manually OC'd it by setting the multiplier to 40x, then it should, but doesn't hurt to check.

If the CPU and/or GPU are thermal or power throttling under load, their respective operating frequency will reduce, and FPS will suffer.

Solution