I need a recomendation.

7e11

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Hello, I am an entry level consumer. I am going to be building a pc soon and I want to make sure that there are no major software bottlenecks. I also want an oppinion on how this system would work. I am going to use this system for mostly gaming and I wont mind spending a little more or less money to get the optimal ammount of power out of this system.(My power supply might be lacking but I dont know.)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1X4AJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1X4AJ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1X4AJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $831.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-04 12:05 EST-0500)

Solution
Ram does not need ay heat spreaders at all. It is mostly marketing. The only possible performance benefit is for extreme ram overclocking. That is not needed for performance on intel cpu's. Tall heat spreaders may interfere with the fan on your cpu cooler, depending on the cooler orientation.
It is cheaper as a rule to buy ram with low heat spreaders. Iv you like the vengeance brand, they offer low profile with the exact same specs.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Computer looks absolutely fine as it is. That power supply will work with that card, mate of mine has just gotten a 760 himself on a 400W PSU and it seems to work just fine.

It all depends how much more/less you're willing to spend really! It's all good saying "Oh yeah you want an i7 instead, a Titan and a 1000W PSU" if you haven't got much more money to spend :)

1. Buy low profile ram, otherwise your cooler may be impacted.
2. I think 430w may be a bit low power for your gpu
3. For gaming, spend your money on a great graphics card first. If you can make that a GTX770 you will game better. A 600w psu would be good for that.
4. Defer on the extra fan. It probably will not be needed.
5. I will not build today without a ssd for the "C" drive. a 120gb ssd will hold the os and a handful of games. 240gb and you may never need a hard drive at all. Samsung EVO is currently the best buy. Consider deferring on the hard drive. It is easy to add one later. If you must use a hard drive use the WD black which is a bit faster.

7e11

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I get what you are saying about the power supply, especially once I overclock. This is why I have decided to spend the extra money on a Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply. Just for a bit more peace of mind. I personally dont think that the graphics card needs a big upgrade, especially because the difference between the 2 cards is arround 70-100$. For an increase of 10-15 fps, that is not worth it in my mind. The extra fan is cheap and I scrapped it. If I need it later, Ill buy it. For now, I think Im going to stick with the 1TB. If I get the extra money later, I can always upgrade.

But What do you mean by "Low Profile Ram"? I saw that vengence ram is some of the best. Do you mean that the ram itself Is large? how would this greatly impact cooling? Also, do you think I need the CPU cooler If im going to overclock?

EDIT: I also get a sick cmobo discount on purchasing the ram and the gpu. I only want to change the ram if it will impact my system performance or put any of the other components at risk.

EDIT2:Btw. Thanks for all of your quick and informative answers.

Ram does not need ay heat spreaders at all. It is mostly marketing. The only possible performance benefit is for extreme ram overclocking. That is not needed for performance on intel cpu's. Tall heat spreaders may interfere with the fan on your cpu cooler, depending on the cooler orientation.
It is cheaper as a rule to buy ram with low heat spreaders. Iv you like the vengeance brand, they offer low profile with the exact same specs.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS