[SOLVED] I need a replace my GPU

Dec 7, 2019
So my GTX 780 recently suffered hardware failure and I wanted to replace it

I have a Asus z87k board but wasn't sure if something such as a RX 580 or gtx 1660 would fit in my board. Would there be any issues?

Solution
Yea you can get a bit more from your current system and as long as your not doing much multitasking or running more then a couple of programs 8gb is fine until you move to a new CPU/MB/RAM.

I'd get this for now.

PCPartPicker Part List
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ B&H)
Total: $324.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 14:48 EST-0500

Then, following this guide by CompuTronix, I would overclock that i5 to get the most from it. There's a bit to read but this...
Dec 7, 2019
Is there any way to test my PSU to ensure it'll still run the card stable - my PSU is a CS 650M that's been used for the past 4 years and my PC may be starting to show signs of ware especially with the failing GPU.

Thank you for your quick response!

WildCard999

Titan
Is there any way to test my PSU to ensure it'll still run the card stable - my PSU is a CS 650M that's been used for the past 4 years and my PC may be starting to show signs of ware especially with the failing GPU.

Thank you for your quick response!
You might be able to test it (voltage meter? Not really my area of knowledge) however I'd just replace it as it's probably out of warranty and isn't worth risking a new GPU or your current system.

What's the absolute most you could spend on a PSU/GPU?

Dec 7, 2019
Well, maybe you could give me an honest opinion because I'm in a pickle

I thought about reassembling a new PC, but I still think I can squeeze more life out of my i5 4670k, and 8gb of Ram, figured just replacing the GPU would be a more cost effective way to still play games and not brake the bank. I don't play anything modern, usually 2000s-2016-7 title games, so the 780 I had was perfect for what I wanted to do at the time, but I think pushing it to 1440p without adequate cooling was foolish of me and thus it began to put too much strain over time. Lesson learned.

I'd say I could go as far as $3-400 in repairing my computer.

WildCard999

Titan
Yea you can get a bit more from your current system and as long as your not doing much multitasking or running more then a couple of programs 8gb is fine until you move to a new CPU/MB/RAM.

I'd get this for now.

PCPartPicker Part List
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ B&H)
Total: $324.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 14:48 EST-0500

Then, following this guide by CompuTronix, I would overclock that i5 to get the most from it. There's a bit to read but this covers everything you'd need to know to properly overclock that CPU as well as the tools required. This will also require a decent aftermarket cooler but for the most part usually 4.2ghz+ is usually achievable.

If you don't have a aftermarket cooler and need a suggestion then post your case and I'll try to find one that fits, is good enough for overclocking and would fit into your remaining budget.

Solution
Dec 7, 2019
I can only use amazon for my shipping needs and your selected power supply is out of stock, do you have suggested alternatives?

I'll go as far as $500.00 no more in repairing my computer, but the pieces have to be off amazon :confused_old:
My CPU cooler is probably also defective.

WildCard999

Titan
I can only use amazon for my shipping needs and your selected power supply is out of stock, do you have suggested alternatives?

I'll go as far as $500.00 no more in repairing my computer, but the pieces have to be off amazon :confused_old:
My CPU cooler is probably also defective.
Larger CPU cooler but one of the best for the price, make sure your case can fit it (154mm).

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($297.48 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($105.31 @ Amazon)
Total: $451.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 15:06 EST-0500

Dec 7, 2019
Before I decide to make a final purchase decision since I'm all for it, should I get Arctic Mx4 thermal paste? Could I apply this both to the CPU and new GPU?

WildCard999

Titan
Before I decide to make a final purchase decision since I'm all for it, should I get Arctic Mx4 thermal paste? Could I apply this both to the CPU and new GPU?
I'd use it for the CPU initially but not for the GPU since it's new although that's up to you. Usually I use new GPU's for at least 8 months or so before swapping paste but if you have a high ambient temp then it may be worthwhile for those few C's less. Most people would probably recommend waiting longer.

Dec 7, 2019
Anyway to perform any procedures on my current GTX 780 to ensure it's dead? I have graphic artifacting, noticeably red horizontal lines when displaying only on the VGA (no driver)

When I download the driver to the 780, windows fails to load properly stopping at the end of the logo (windows 7) and displays artifacting on the windows logo and stops. Then I have to power the system down, remove the driver, and windows loads, but with noticeable red / bluish lines that are very apparent across black backgrounds, like YouTube dark theme.

Dec 7, 2019
I can't test the card else where. PC Doesn't crash anymore when watching videos on YouTube randomly.

Do you think it'll be safe to test the new 1660ti video card on the Corsair 650 since the card I had previously I believe suffered heat damage. I'm trusting the power supply I have is okay unless you or any others here generally think the one I have is bad. It's lasted me for 4 - 5 years gaming so I can't say anything negative personally. :sneaky:

It's like the Energizer bunny it just keeps going, and going.

WildCard999

Titan
Do you think that's why I'm having problems with my Push-Pull on my CPU cooler? All fans I used in my case are dead. PSU related?
Not sure if PSU related. It would appear that you really need to clean up the system as it's pretty rare for case fans to die. I'd clean up all the dust, redo the wiring if messy so that it's easier to work in.

And if the fans are dying via PSU then there's no way in hell I'd put in a new GPU without replacing the PSU.

WildCard999

Titan
I'm just going to wing it. Will my i5 4670k bottleneck the 1660ti?

If you were to upgrade my 2x4gb 1333 ram which would you replace them with?
For some older titles your i5 should be fine, it's the newer FPS games that it may struggle with like BFV.

For the memory I'd probably get a 2x8gb @1600 kit however I wouldn't dump too much money into a system that you'll probably upgrade in a year or so. At least with the cooler it will ship with newer brackets so you can use it on a newer CPU.

Dec 7, 2019
I'm so scared now because I can't tell if my fans dying are PSU related, everything else runs fine. Would it be safe to try the new GPU idle and leave it on for an hour or so then try a fire strike benchmark for a stability test?

How much more energy does the 1660 ti draw compared to the 780 I had?

Dec 7, 2019
I'm pretty certain, almost 100% positive, that the death of the GPU wasn't from the PSU but from overheating due to the lack of proper cooling since I had a habit of pushing my GPU to the limit.

Unfortunately doing so over time has cause the GPU to artifact, black screen randomly, power down randomly.
Windows bugs out on the boot screen when the GPU is enabled. Not enabled it works fine. Removing the drivers did nothing.

I even posted a picture so you can see the issue. This still shows up in safe mode, what's your opinion?
Notice how not the entire screen has the issue though, only certain sections.
UXWL9hp.jpg

EDIT: When I move my mouse over them they move around kinda, disappearing and reappearing.

Dec 7, 2019
Does anybody believe these red lines are symptoms of a failed GPU? When I enable my video card via Safe Mode, windows fails to load 100%, stopping at the end and giving the same symptoms especially on the windows logo. When I mouse over them they deteriorate but re-appear else where and back and the cycle continues.