[SOLVED] I need a replacement mother board...HELP!

Solution
Two thoughts:
1. On ebay search for the motherboard in new condition.
If you do not get a hit, save the search and if such a motherboard comes up, you will be notified.
2. Contact Asus. They might have one they would be able to sell you directly. If they have one they refurbished, that should be ok too.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What, specifically is starting to 'fail' about it?

True X79 boards still command a decent price on the used market, and you'd be looking at boards of comparable ages that have (potentially) been hit as hard as yours has over time.
Generic "X79" boards (not truly using X79 chipset) exist out of China etc, and are solid enough for functionality in most cases - while being relatively affordable.

Commercialvoice

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
Various (intermittent) USB ports are going south. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont until a week or two ago. Now, none of the direct back 3.0 ports work, only the ones that are accesses from the front of the case. I had a friend/it guy who works at an internet service provider take a look and concured that a replacement is in order. I'm ONLY intersted in a replacement and no fancy (not needed) upgrades as I am in the process of a new build as well. I'd just like to keep this one going as a relaible 2nd system.

Commercialvoice

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
I asked this question this last Tuesday but did not get a firm answer from anyone, Can anyone please help? I need to replace my motherboard on an old computer but the MB is apparently out of production. Can anyone tell me exaclty what I can purchse to replace since an exact replace is not possible? Here is the old build...

MOTHRER BOARD: Asus - P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard

Case-Fractal Design Define R4 N82E16811352020

Power Supply SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SSR-650RM

Processor-Intel Core i7-4790K-BX80646I74790K

Memory -Corsair CMX32GX3M4A1333C9 32gb

VIDEO CARD EVGA 06G-P4-3791-KR

FAN-Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Drives-(4) Western Digital 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache WD1003FZEX

(RAID 10-2TB of storage, mirrored over four 1TB drives)

SS DRIVE 1-SanDisk Extreme II 480GB SATA IOPS- SDSSDXP-480G-G25

SS DRIVE 2-Crucial M500 240GB SATA CT240M500SSD1

(SS Drives for OS and Programs)

2x Bluray writer ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G

SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 Sound Card SB1570

Last edited:
Have you looked on ebay?
And ya that would be buyer beware but as you say it would be a back up.
I done the same thing when i saw amd fx990's disappearing.
As i have 2 fx systems still running
1 fx6300 for wife
1 8350 for my son.
I have a ryzen 2600x on asus rog strix x470.
When i can't keep at least 1 of those running, hopefully the 3000 bugs have long been worked out.
I will upgrade and move the 2600x to my son as he games and animates.

There are some used on ebay asus p9x79 , x79's, x99's but looking at asus on those boards i didn't see your cpu in the support lists.
I guess all i can say from here is someone did read your post and Good luck and
Best regards

Commercialvoice

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
If your only problem is with usb ports, why not buy an add in adapter card?
USB is nit the ony issue. USB was the start with intermitent problems, now none of the back usb inputs work, now I am having intermitent issues with LAN inut issues. He mother board is degrading. Just a matter of time before it is catastrophic.

Commercialvoice

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
USB is not the only issue. USB was the start with intermittent problems, now none of the back usb inputs work, now I am having intermittent issues with LAN input . The mother board is degrading. Just a matter of time before it is catastrophic. A used or recertified MB is not an option either. I am search of a quality fix rather than buying a used MB on eBay…

Commercialvoice

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
Hmmm, the SSDs are new (did a total upgrade about 4 months ago) but a power supply could be the culprit? Really? That never occurred to me. If that’s really a possibility I could try that first (easier and less expensive) . What are the odds it is a power supply in your opinion?

If I understand you correctly, you only want a motherboard to replace the defective one you already have. I'm operating on the pretense that you've adequately/effectively troubleshot your current setup to determine this. That being said, take your pc part picker list, delete your current motherboard. Then click on the motherboard section so you can see a list of viable options for your build. Lastly, see what you can find from that list, that's available on sites like eBay and report back with a few options you would consider.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you are interested, a friend of mine has a file server rig he has been trying to sell with a MSI z97 motherboard. What part of the country are you located, or what country...lol?

Disregard. I see that you listed a 3rd gen in original post, then mentioned a 4th gen below.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hmmm, the SSDs are new (did a total upgrade about 4 months ago) but a power supply could be the culprit? Really? That never occurred to me. If that’s really a possibility I could try that first (easier and less expensive) . What are the odds it is a power supply in your opinion?
But was it a fresh OS install on the SSD(s) or a migration from an existing HDD?

Commercialvoice

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
Thanks to all for the input but I have already done the ground work and have a reliable diagnosis that I trust. I am not interested in used parts or knock off parts but just wanted to know if anyone was aware of a new and authentic replacement part. It seems there is no such thing. Again, I appreciate the input but looks like this machine is destined for the landfill. Too bad cause until the MB issue this had been a great little workhorse and planned on it being an emergency workstation.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks to all for the input but I have already done the ground work and have a reliable diagnosis that I trust. I am not interested in used parts or knock off parts but just wanted to know if anyone was aware of a new and authentic replacement part. It seems there is no such thing. Again, I appreciate the input but looks like this machine is destined for the landfill. Too bad cause until the MB issue this had been a great little workhorse and planned on it being an emergency workstation.

Yeah, motherboard chipsets tend to go out of production very quickly. Anything you find that's new would only be new in the sense that it was sitting unused in a box for years. Generally speaking, any motherboard replacement on a platform that's more than a couple years old will entail a scrounged part from a secondary market.

Two thoughts:
1. On ebay search for the motherboard in new condition.
If you do not get a hit, save the search and if such a motherboard comes up, you will be notified.
2. Contact Asus. They might have one they would be able to sell you directly. If they have one they refurbished, that should be ok too.

Solution