I need a replacement or new card.

reignofbudweiser

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133268

That is my old card. I bought one a year ago and it worked wonders until my wife spilled OJ on it through my Coolermaster case. I ordered another and received something slightly different - a "Performance Edition". Physically, it was the same, but after slapping it into my computer I immediately noticed some differences. For starters, it whirred a lot when I started games like Mass Effect 2. I have no doubts that it ran hot at times, but I never tested that theory out.

Now that it isn't working, what should I do? I'd love to get the same card, but I'm not fond of this manufacturer now that I've had this issue. Then again, maybe it wasn't the manufacturer's fault. Maybe it was mine. What would you do? Should I re-order this card from PNY? The first one I bought I got Newegg. That one worked great. The second I got directly from PNY. Didn't work out quite as well.

Should I pick a different card? Upgrade it, maybe? I need some advice!

And thanks in advance for the help.

Computer Specs:

Processor: Intel i7 920 2.66GHz
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Graphics Card: Listed above.

Er, I'll have to get the rest to you later, if you need more.

reignofbudweiser

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I would love to talk to PNY, but I doubt they'd offer anything useful considering I don't have any proof of purchase. I'll call anyways.

That said, I bought the card for $220. I'd like to get another card around that price, or cheaper, as long as the quality remains the same.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
If your budget is that high you could get a 460 GTX which is a much better card but I think you should try to claim the warranty on your card though (if you still have the box there is usually a sticker for it).

In the future you should always register your product after you buy something that offers lifetime warranty. You're wasting a lot of money buying the same product over and over again when you could have simply had it replaced.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
It kind of matters because Nvidia actually allowed their partners to use a customized PCB for this card. I think EVGA usually quite popular but personally I'd go for a the factory oced Gigabyte model.

Edit: Make sure you get a 1GB version and not the 768MB though.

reignofbudweiser

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Ok. False alarm? I reseated the graphics card and now it works. For the moment. Eh, hopefully it stays that way. One question, though. Is there a way to make the graphics card fan run faster? The worried it may be overheating, and I've read this specific card has that issue.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
PNY aren't known for the durability of their products. Go to their page and register your card as soon as possible. No proof of purchase should be necessary, you only need the numbered code on the card...