I need a stable overclock guide for i7 990x / DX58SO2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bacon12

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I just finished buiding my new computer yesterday, the basic specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel I7 990x (Stock DBX-B thermal solution Cooling)
MB: Intel Extreme X58 LGA 1366 DX58SO2
PS: Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200
Memory: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX DDR3-1600 (6x4GB) CL9
Case: IN WIN DESTINY-Extreme Series Ironclad (4 20mm fans 1 120mm fan)
HDD: 300GB WD VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm X2 (Raid 0)
Display Adapter: X2 SLI eVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

The computer seems to run fine at stock settings, but I did not buy the I7 990X to run it at stock settings. However, I'm new to OCing. I'm looking for an optimal stable OC walkthrough. I've tried using the intel (Slight OC) autotuning app and noticed that it only raised my ram speed to 1338Mhz (or thereabouts). THe point is, I'd like to take advantage of the 1600Mhz ram I have, but I don't want to destroy the machine either by doing somthing wrong. I've conducted an exhaustive search using all the terms my limited computer speak vocabulary could come up with, but have struck out...

I'd appreciate any help I could get!

Thank you!

Solution
Firstly, don't OC on a stock cooler!

Secondly that's a very niche chip, you'll be lucky if you find a guide. Overclocking the 920 / 930 (or any 1366 CPU) is basically the same idea as the 990x except you have an unlocked multiplier so to increase the frequency you would use a combination of Blk increases and multi increases (200 Blk + 27 multi = 4700 MHz, as an example).

Read up on some 920 guides, there's TONES. Learn how your CPU operates, about QPI and how the Blk effects pretty much every other frequency (RAM, Uncore, QPI etc).

Good luck :)....and don't try any crazy OCing with a stock cooler!!!!!

DiabloDoom

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

First, I'll explain a few things. If you already know these things just ignore them.

1.) Unless your in a competition a high OC will do you no good unless it's stable over the long term. For me 4.5GHz was to high for my CPU cooler in any kind of prolonged stress test.

4.42GHz seemed good at first but over a two month period I had 3or4 crashes and the occasional short screen freeze (2 to 3 times a week) running it 24/7.

4.33GHz is what I use now 24/7 and although 4.4 is also 100% stable, it just feels better and safer to be a little further away from instability.

2.) CPU temperature is real important when stress testing an overclock. Download "RealTempGT" and use it to keep an eye on your core temps while stress testing. I try to keep my temps under 90c while stressing. If on the rare occasion it jumps to 91 or 92 for a second that's ok as long as it's about an 85-87 average (pr core). if it goes higher you need to lower your OC or get a better cooler.

3.) Good stress tests are: "prime95", "IntelBurnTest" and "AIDA64 Extreme".
AIDA64 Extreme also has some very good CPU & RAM benchmark tests which can assist you in your overclocking.

I usually check the performance of new settings with AIDA64 benchmark tests then as long as that looks OK I then stress it with IntelBurnTest @ high stress level for 5 passes. If all appears stable I'll bump the numbers up a little more and repeat or if I feel I'm as high as I can/want to go I'll run IntelBurnTest with more passes and a higher stress level, lower my OC if necessary then test with AIDA64 system stability test overnight. I don't use prime95 that often but it is a good tool if you chose to.

4.) Keep records they come in real handy when overclocking. That's why I posted that OC test sheet.

5.) You will not be able to achieve as high of an OC with all six ram dimms full as it is harder on your CPU's IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and if you fry that you might as well just toss your CPU in the trash.
And remember our motherboards and CPU's max supported ram speed is 1366Mhz so just because your ram is capable of 2000Mhz does not mean it can reach that on our platforms. Also your ram (very nice ram by the way) comes in a 3 module kit so when you added another kit to make 6 modules you lowered the possibility that all 6 will play nice together and added more stress to the CPU's IMC. There is a reason 1600Mhz was the fastest 6 module kit sold for the X58 platform.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what you did was bad and even though you did take a risk of getting incompatible kits the fact that you have gotten 1805Mhz out of them shows that they are indeed playing together nice but I doubt you you will get them to go much higher. In fact you may have to lower it a little for complete stability. We'll see.

Your recommended timings are 9-10-9-27. Yours are set at 9-9-9-24 which is faster and should be harder to achieve and makes 1805Mhz even more impressive.

You said: "9-9-9-24 /2N <-I am setting to auto,because when I change lower the vaule, will be crashed" are you just talking about the 2N or the 9-9-9-24 as well? If your just talking about the 2N on auto try the recommended 9-10-9-27. Since you have 6 sticks instead of 3 you could also try relaxing the timings even more to something like 10-10(or 11)-10-30. I don't know how much faster you can get your ram, but it is very good ram and 2000Mhz with all 6 dimms full would be pretty cool!
Also make sure the XMP profile is not selected in bios (should be manual) there is no 6 dimm XMP profile for your 3 dimm kits.

You could also try lowering your CPU ratio and raising your BCLK to see if that helps. Other than that it's just allot of trial and error, testing.

I don't know if you will be able to get 4.5GHz rock solid stable 24/7. I doubt it, but if your lucky enough to have just the right hardware I don't think it's impossible.

Good luck and let me know how it works out! :D

wwwooo

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I go first. Here is my updated O.C setting,help me to see whether correct or not.

CPU Ratio: 28
BCLK Freq: 159
DRAM Freq: 1901Mhz
RAM Timings: 9-10-9-27 / 1N
CPU Voltage: 1.4 ← if I set 1.393 got BSOD
QPI/DRAM core volts (vtt): 1.393 ← should it need up?
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65
CPU PLL: 1.8285 ←1.82 it's ok, or should be 1.85?
IOH Voltage (NB): ? ←auto or 1.2 should be
ICH Voltage (SB): ? ←auto or 1.2 should be
Load-Line Calibration: Full Calibration
C1E Suppport: Disabled ←why most people say disable,why can't enable?

pls help me I need a stable working p.c