[SOLVED] I need a strong wifi extender

Apr 3, 2020
Good afternoon. I am new here and not very technologically advanced so hopefully this makes sense. I have a home office (20' x 12' wood framed building) outside my actual house (also wood framed) that I am trying to get a good wifi signal to.

I just upgraded my standard Xfinity modem/router to a Netgear CM500 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart wifi router. I am also currently using a Netgear AC750 wifi extender.

My router is in the middle of my house, about 30 feet from the exterior wall of my house. My office is positioned parallel to my house and 10 feet away. I have put the range extender in my garage (which is directly on the other side of the exterior wall as my office) and have a very strong signal from my wifi extender when I connect to it in the garage.

But inside my office, I have a very weak signal to my wifi extender at my two desktop computers.

Can anyone recommend a strong wifi extender or booster that will give me a good signal in my office? I was looking at the Netgear EX8000 but like i said, I dont know much about these things.

Thank you for any responses!

Solution
Is there a limit to the distance signal can travel via ethernet? I can run the wire myself (I ran and installed all the new wiring, conduit, sub-panels etc to have power in the new building). It wouldn't hard for me to use my fish tape to pull the ethernet up the livingroom wall to the attic and then run it over to the soffits.
100 METERS between devices. So from your router (for example) to your PC -- 100 meters. If you have conduit with other low voltage wiring, then you can run ethernet in the same conduit.

kanewolf

Titan
Good afternoon. I am new here and not very technologically advanced so hopefully this makes sense. I have a home office (20' x 12' wood framed building) outside my actual house (also wood framed) that I am trying to get a good wifi signal to.

I just upgraded my standard Xfinity modem/router to a Netgear CM500 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart wifi router. I am also currently using a Netgear AC750 wifi extender.

My router is in the middle of my house, about 30 feet from the exterior wall of my house. My office is positioned parallel to my house and 10 feet away. I have put the range extender in my garage (which is directly on the other side of the exterior wall as my office) and have a very strong signal from my wifi extender when I connect to it in the garage.

But inside my office, I have a very weak signal to my wifi extender at my two desktop computers.

Can anyone recommend a strong wifi extender or booster that will give me a good signal in my office? I was looking at the Netgear EX8000 but like i said, I dont know much about these things.

Thank you for any responses!
Pay a professional installer to fish an ethernet cable and bury it between the buildings. Then you will have full network speed. Add a WIFI access point in the office if you have to have WIFI.

Apr 3, 2020
Pay a professional installer to fish an ethernet cable and bury it between the buildings. Then you will have full network speed. Add a WIFI access point in the office if you have to have WIFI.
Is there a limit to the distance signal can travel via ethernet? I can run the wire myself (I ran and installed all the new wiring, conduit, sub-panels etc to have power in the new building). It wouldn't hard for me to use my fish tape to pull the ethernet up the livingroom wall to the attic and then run it over to the soffits.

kanewolf

Titan
100 METERS between devices. So from your router (for example) to your PC -- 100 meters. If you have conduit with other low voltage wiring, then you can run ethernet in the same conduit.

Solution
Be very careful of ethernet cable outside. You want outdoor or direct bury cable really. You can use normal ethernet but it must be protected both from water and many times more important the sun. Direct bury cable costs about 3 times the cost of normal cable but it also needs only minimal protection and you only have to bury it a inch or so. You can still cut it easily with a shovel so take that into consideration.

Apr 3, 2020
Thank you both. I ordered 100 feet of exterior direct bury ethernet cable that came today. I will be running it monday from my router to my building and then to a netgear splitter so I can tie in both of the desktops in my office. I will post back the results once I get them connected.