I need a substitue for a dying ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

kirune

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Hi all,

I'm in need of some help from the community.
I have a dying ASRock z77 Extreme 4 MB. The welding that communicates CPU to RAM sockets has some micro-fractures, and it made 2 sockets already unusable, and the remaining 2 are following the same fate already.
My problem here is the outrageous prices of some gaming MB with the same socket factor (1155). I have found brand new MB for 250 to 800 bucks. And second hand or refurbished ones for 90-something.

So moving away from a "gaming" design I though on just looking for MB with z77 chipset like a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 or a ASUS P8Z77-V LX2, (which I can buy for 80) and here is my doubt:

Are the MB like this gigabyte or Asus going to have some bottlenecks compared to a gaming MB with same chipset? Or it is just a matter of fancy-gaming-package vs office-I-don't-care-how-it-looks?

For those reasons you should consider a new build. Motherboards don't last forever. Not worth getting such an old motherboard new or used.

What are your system specs and intended use?

Yes, you are wrong.

Z87 and Z97 are for 4th-gen Haswell and Haswell refresh socket LGA 1150.

Z67 and Z77 are for 2nd and 3rd-gen Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge socket LGA 1155.

OK, it's been a long time :)
But you don't have to go with the Z motherboards.

kirune

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
A new build is not an option. The intention is to "recover" this one.
Actual specs are:
i7 3770k - 16GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
GTX 970
modular PSU
SDD on OS, several HDD for data and gaming

An updated, same-level rig would be around 900€ (buying in EU is maddeningly expensive^^). It is already planned. In a near future. At the moment I need to keep this one alive.

I just need to know if I'll be downgrading my PC if I buy a "non-gaming" MB

kirune

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

I'm in EU. As far as I know I can't buy from Newegg. (I wish I could...)