Question I need a thin client computer to record webcam footage 24/7

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hi,

So, recently, some people broke into my frontyard and stole the bike's license plates. The whole thing made me realize that it's probably a good idea to have CCTV of some kind. It might help to defer some thieves.
I decided to setup my own system, which involves a webcam and a laptop. The laptop records 24/7, and every morning, it uploads footage to a server I have upstairs so it doesn't run out of space. The footage is kept in the server for a month. After a month, it gets deleted because I can't see a situation where I would need something that old.

It works okay. But its a bit of a waste to have a whole laptop handling this. It's a total waste of an i5 machine. I wanted to do this with a Raspberry Pi instead, but uh... I don't really feel like paying scalpers right now.

The next best thing is getting one of those "thin clients". But I'm a bit worried that they are *too* slow to encode h264 1080p video. I'm aware that h264 hardware encoders exist but not every GPU has them. Some higher end WYSE models do, but I don't want to spend too much money on one since a) I might as well spent a bit more and get a Pi Zero 2 and b) no reason to waste too much money if the laptop does the job.

One system that I did find online was the Igel UD3 LX M330C. That thing has neither an AMD or an Intel processor. It has a Via Eden X2 VX900 CPU, which is really slow. I can find one of these for about £5 but I don't think that the CPU will encode 1080p h264. And there's no way the GPU has a hardware encoder.

The next thing for about £15 is a Dell Wyse 3030 N06D. That has a Celeron dual-core, which has Intel Quick-Sync. With Quick-Sync, I should be able to encode h264 video on the fly, right? The only thing that puts me a bit off is that these machines can't be upgraded with better storage and memory. I'm stuck with soldered components.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Thank you.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
A "thin client" is not what you think it is.
It is mostly a screen and keyboard, with just enough brainpower to connect to a host server that contains its OS.

No, I'm aware, but they're still technically computers even if weak. With Pi's costing 3x the price of what they normally do, I can't think of a better replacement other than my small Dell laptop.

If you have an old smartphone with a decent camera laying about you can use that to do everything, maybe get a snap on camera lens if it needs one.

Anything else is going to be expensive or produce really low quality video.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
If you have an old smartphone with a decent camera laying about you can use that to do everything, maybe get a snap on camera lens if it needs one.

Anything else is going to be expensive or produce really low quality video.
The video isn't the issue. I just need a computer to capture the footage from the webcam. Which can actually be a phone! But I don't have one. Well, I do, but it has a shattered screen that doesn't work.

What is your budget for this thing?
Well, you can a Pi Zero W for about £40, so I suppose about £20? I don't want to spend £30 when I can just add £10 to that and just get another Pi. All and all a thin client is meant to save me money here.

You are likely better looking for a security camera rather than a web cam. Most times the camera itself will convert the video to h264. Many security cameras can directly write to disk files to your server. Some have small amounts of flash on the camera and will record only when they detect movement.

USAFRet

Titan
Unless you have other use for it, your current laptop is the cheapest solution.
You already have it. $0.

And the laptop+webcam should be able to save the video direct to whatever server thing you have going. No need to move that manually.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
And the laptop+webcam should be able to save the video direct to whatever server thing you have going. No need to move that manually.

There is, actually. My server is in my room so I don't have it on all day. My Raspberry Pi turns it on via Wake-on-Lan whenever it makes backups, and same thing with the webcam laptop. Plus that saves quite a bit of power too. Electric prices right now are absolutely ruthless.

Yeah looks like I'm keeping the laptop. Pi's are cool but I doubt they will ever get out of this stupid shortage.

Ralston18

Titan
I suggest thinking in terms of some cost/benefit analysis. Nothing fancy, just common sense.

What might be the potential theft losses compared to electricity costs?

Not only the stolen property per se but increased insurance costs if you make some claims.

Figure out a compromise system. Leave "security" on at times when the bad folks are more likely to be running amok.

(However, I must concede, that that is now 24/7 in all too many places....)

Keep tempting items out of sight. And locked down for additional deterence.

And even with video footage and proof - nothing legal may happen anyway. Even if the thieves get caught.

Learn from the original "front yard break in". Make breaking in harder.

With selective visibility to show that there is "nothing" there worth breaking in for.

Not a matter of being cheap. More a matter out thinking and outwitting ne`er-do-wells.

I’d check out the wyze v3 security cameras. In the USA they should run about 35 bucks. You can install a cheap micro sd card. If I recall there’s a subscription you can buy to enable 14 day cloud recording. They are easy to install. Set up with a smart phone, and you can stick a metal disc anywhere and the bottom of the camera is magnetic.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I’d check out the wyze v3 security cameras. In the USA they should run about 35 bucks. You can install a cheap micro sd card. If I recall there’s a subscription you can buy to enable 14 day cloud recording. They are easy to install. Set up with a smart phone, and you can stick a metal disc anywhere and the bottom of the camera is magnetic.

I'm not interested in Internet-enabled cams. I want my video to stay within the boundaries of my home network. But thank you for the suggestion. It would be a good idea otherwise.

You may be a "cheap bastard", but webcams are poor substitutes for purpose made security cameras. Webcams can't do outdoor, and can't deal with night. Those are situations that a purpose built security camera is designed to handle.

I have a very bright floodlight, so that it's not an issue. But once I get a good system setup, there's no reason not to upgrade the web cam with a proper security one... as long as it uses USB.

For the moment I have no system running. That Dell laptop wastes too much power and is hot all the time, so as someone said above, it just feels like a dirty solution. I want an RPi but those are expensive right now.

A good alternative would be a cheap used phone I guess. Those can be rooted to run a chrooted Linux install.

TRENDING THREADS