[SOLVED] I need a USB3 to Sata adapter for a 3.5" hard drive - what number of pins do I need?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Looking to connect my 3.5" SATA drive to a laptop with USB3. Will be using it in a hot environment so I don't want to use a case that would retain heat. I was thinking of just a SATA to USB adapter. But the power requirements for 3.5" drives are different than 2.5" drives and most are for 2.5" drives. Some seem to say they can power 3.5" drives but they aren't offering an AC adapter. I don't think USB has the enough current to drive a 3.5" hard drive. Plus its only 5 volts and 3.5" drives require 5v and 12v power, don't they?

Most seem to be 22 pin. Can I use 22 pin connectors with a 3.5" drive or would that mean they are for only 2.5" drives?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Yes it seems that 2.5" and 3.5" drives are quite different in their power needs.
What I'm trying to determine is:

1: Can I power a hard drive with a 5 volt or 12 volt power adapter? There are only 2 conductors coming out of the included AC adapter. Do you think its 5 or 12 volts? I'm guessing 12 then they step an offshoot of that down to 5 for the plug. A molex had the yellow (12 volts), red (5 volts) and 2 black ground wires. Why they have 2 grounds is a mystery. I bet someone here knows though!

2: Does the fact that some of these adapters are 22 pins mean they are for a 2.5" drive only? That would help in finding the right one faster as many titles don't mention if its for 2.5" only.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Do you have a HDD with both a sata and other power inputs? Perhaps a link to one would help.

I connect my WD black SATA drive with a molex to SATA power plug and a SATA cable. The most common way.

For a HDD, you only need to use the sata connector for power, and of course the sata data connector.
Other connectors are not needed.

Not sure what other connectors there are.

I'm just curious about the 22 pin connector. And if it denotes what size of hard drive its for or maybe all SATA drives use the 22 pin connector but if that was the case why would they mention in the title of their listing?