I need a VGA cooler that is quieter than my 4870 1gb vapor-x

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
So I have a Sapphire 4870 1GB Vapor-X, and I am not happy with the noise level.
I know many people view it as a fantastic cooler, I am simply not sattisfied. It is to oud on 56%, and although it cools my card extremely well, it is not good at directing the rest of the heat outside the case. It sort of just disperses it.
I have my core clock at 790mhz, ad my memory clock at 1005mhz, so it needs to be able to cool an OC'd 4870 well, while giving me superior noise performance.
For me, Noise level is of greater importance than cooling capabilities, although it needs to be at least decent on that front too.
Here is what I have been looking at.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10052/vid-138/Scythe_SCVSG-1000_Setsugen_Universal_Ultra_Thin_VGA_Cooler_w_Speed_Control_Up_to_HD_5870_and_GeForce_285_GTX.html
This cooler comes with one scythe slipstream 120mm fan. Not sure the rpm. What do you think? Its scythe's new VGA cooler, and I am loving the price/performance ratio.

Solution

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I want it to be compatible, because I plan on upgrading shortly after nvidia releases fermi, and in turn the 5850 prices go down. Either that, or wait until the the 5830 comes out. Either way, I will be upgrading at one point in the foreseeable future, so I want to make sure I am prepared.

TRENDING THREADS