[SOLVED] I need a wireless access point to hook my router to the internet

Solution
That is much more complex. First your router must support attaching a cell modem via USB. Even if it does the list of supported modems is somewhat limited. Its not like a PC where you can load the driver for each modem the must put the driver in the router firmware.

If your router supports a modem used by your ISP then it is pretty easy to setup.

If you router does not support these device it gets very complex. Many times it is easier to just replace your router with one that does support mobile broadband modems. To hook it to your current router on the ethernet wan port depends on what the ISP is offering. Best to check their store. They might have a hotspot that has a ethernet port. Most are wifi only. You...

Lutfij

Titan
Where are you located, what is your budget for the Access Point, what sort of coverage do you need the AP to fulfill and what is your preferred site for purchase? Wireless networking devices come in many different forms, shapes and sizes. The question I've asked above are to help narrow down good options for your scenario.

That is much more complex. First your router must support attaching a cell modem via USB. Even if it does the list of supported modems is somewhat limited. Its not like a PC where you can load the driver for each modem the must put the driver in the router firmware.

If your router supports a modem used by your ISP then it is pretty easy to setup.

If you router does not support these device it gets very complex. Many times it is easier to just replace your router with one that does support mobile broadband modems. To hook it to your current router on the ethernet wan port depends on what the ISP is offering. Best to check their store. They might have a hotspot that has a ethernet port. Most are wifi only. You could go the messy route of buying a mobile broad band hot spot and then buy a client-bridge to hook to the router wan port.

I still think the best option is to get a list of the USB modems your ISP supports and then look at a router like asus that has a large list of supported broadband modems.

Solution

nikki g

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Thank you I have a wireless hotspot from T-Mobile. I talked to them and they said that hopefully by the first of September they will roll out internet service in Louisville Kentucky where I live so thanks.