Question I need advice on buying a laptop for programming use ?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, Ineed some advise on buying a laptop in the price range of 250-400 euros.I have concluded on the one bellow but i would like some opinions on it and some alternatives.
https://www.9to5gadgets.com/2020/06/review-asus-vivobook-15-f512ja-as34.html
Thank you!
For programming, are you going to use a USB keyboard? If not, then keyboard and touchpad should be one of your main focuses. Nothing kills productivity like a bad keyboard/mouse.
Then screen. Again, a bad screen will kill your eyes or you will have to use large fonts and not get much on the screen.
After that RAM. Can't have enough.
Finally CPU and battery, IMO.

Have you actually touched the model you are thinking about ?

Jan 2, 2023
For programming, are you going to use a USB keyboard? If not, then keyboard and touchpad should be one of your main focuses. Nothing kills productivity like a bad keyboard/mouse.
Then screen. Again, a bad screen will kill your eyes or you will have to use large fonts and not get much on the screen.
After that RAM. Can't have enough.
Finally CPU and battery, IMO.

Have you actually touched the model you are thinking about ?
No I have only searched online you think I should go see it in person?

Most definitely touch the prospective laptop.
In particular, look at the screen brightness.
Test the feel of the keyboard.

Your budget may preclude a high end model.
You will want more than the stock 8gb of ram, and more than the 128 gb of ssd. Usually, ram and storage can be upgraded more cheaply if you do it yourself.

For comparison, test a Lenovo thinkpad unit which will have a very good keyboard.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the only other consideration i'd add to what kanewolf said is to consider what you are programming.

make sure the laptop can run whatever it is you are planning on making. i saw this when i was teaching when the school system bought new pc's for the programming classes and cheaped out big time. the kids cold run visual studio and type whatever they wanted, but in the end the pc was not strong enough to run the game they made so they cold test it out and so on.

so do take a few minutes to consider the needs of not just typing it up but be sure it can run the end product as well so you can actually test it.