Question I need advice on how to improve internet speeds ?

Sep 2, 2023
So for context, we've been experiencing low download speeds for the past 4 months,. We pay for 500mbps download and 50mbps upload and the connection test on a wired device always comes out to about 5/50. I have contacted my ISP (WOW!) multiple times and they have told me the modem signal is good on their end and to contact the manufacturer. We've had one of their guys come out and replace the wiring from the pole in our backyard to our house and still no change.

Both our router (Linksys EA7200) and our modem (Arris Surfboard 6190) are less than a year old so I don't think it's an equipment issue.

Any advice is appreciated!

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
How many people are sharing the internet where you live?

See if you can try it at like 2am in the morning (when no one but you should be using it) and see what the speeds are then. If they are much higher, you are simply sharing your connection with a ton of internet hogs. Nothing you can really do about that.

Reactions: wrose99
Sep 2, 2023
How many people are sharing the internet where you live?

See if you can try it at like 2am in the morning (when no one but you should be using it) and see what the speeds are then. If they are much higher, you are simply sharing your connection with a ton of internet hogs. Nothing you can really do about that.
Only 2 people, but I've experienced the same issue when I'm home alone as well. It seemed odd to me that the download speed was being reduced but the upload speed has remained constant every time I've done a speed test.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the only 2 times in the past few months that a speedtest has given higher results like 300+mbps download was after I got off the phone with my ISP. It would be perfectly fine for 10 minutes then back to the regular 5mbps.

I would first make it as simple as possible to test. Hook one of you pc directly to the modem. You will likely have to power cycle the modem everytime you change the device you have plugged into it. It tends to lock the first mac address it sees.

A modem is a pretty simple device and unlikely to fail. If this works then you start to suspect something strange with the router.

What you can also do is run ping 8.8.8.8 -t and see if you are getting packet loss. That generally is a sign of bad cables but it can be other stuff.

Sep 2, 2023
I would first make it as simple as possible to test. Hook one of you pc directly to the modem. You will likely have to power cycle the modem everytime you change the device you have plugged into it. It tends to lock the first mac address it sees.

A modem is a pretty simple device and unlikely to fail. If this works then you start to suspect something strange with the router.

What you can also do is run ping 8.8.8.8 -t and see if you are getting packet loss. That generally is a sign of bad cables but it can be other stuff.
Thank you for the reply! I will have to plug my pc directly into my modem a little later as other people are on the internet at the moment and my only ethernet port in my modem is connected to my router, but when you say run ping 8.8.8.8 -t, where should I do that?

Edit: I ran the ping command and typed 8.8.8.8 and got 0% packet loss each time.

Last edited:
Download one of the free wifi analyzers from the windows store and verify how many other people are using the same wifi channel as you. You can manually change which channel you use if necessary. In my heavily congested neighborhood I had to switch to using wifi 6E to get decent transfer speed.

Sep 2, 2023
Download one of the free wifi analyzers from the windows store and verify how many other people are using the same wifi channel as you. You can manually change which channel you use if necessary. In my heavily congested neighborhood I had to switch to using wifi 6E to get decent transfer speed.
When our internet slows down and everything constantly buffers, it buffers for wireless and wired connections, so I'm not sure the channel would make a difference but I will certainly give it a shot!

Reactions: dwd999
Sep 2, 2023
Are both your wireless and ethernet speeds the same? (Test wireless on the 5G band)
Yes, I tested on both wireless and wired devices and both showed relatively the same speeds. The slow download speeds are intermittent so it leads me to believe it's an ISP issue but my ISP assured me it wasn't them... lol

Reactions: dwd999
Yes, I tested on both wireless and wired devices and both showed relatively the same speeds. The slow download speeds are intermittent so it leads me to believe it's an ISP issue but my ISP assured me it wasn't them... lol
I'm gonna say the last resort might be to call the ISP and tell them you want to switch to their lowest cost plan since you're not getting the speed they promise. The thought of losing a higher paying account might motivate them more.

Ralston18

Titan
Try this analyzer (Microsoft, free):

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/wifi-analyzer/9NBLGGH33N0N

Takes a bit of effort to learn to navigate and understand but the results can be very helpful.

E.g., choice of frequency and channel as has been mentioned.

Do allow the tool a few minutes before delving into the details. Some network may not immediately show up due to distance and/or interference.

The graphs can be quite helpful.

kanewolf

Titan
So for context, we've been experiencing low download speeds for the past 4 months,. We pay for 500mbps download and 50mbps upload and the connection test on a wired device always comes out to about 5/50. I have contacted my ISP (WOW!) multiple times and they have told me the modem signal is good on their end and to contact the manufacturer. We've had one of their guys come out and replace the wiring from the pole in our backyard to our house and still no change.

Both our router (Linksys EA7200) and our modem (Arris Surfboard 6190) are less than a year old so I don't think it's an equipment issue.

Any advice is appreciated!
Have you looked at the status page of the modem? Try 192.168.100.1 in your browser.
This page gives some recommendations -- https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cable-modem-signal-levels-are-considered-good-78

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Only 2 people, but I've experienced the same issue when I'm home alone as well. It seemed odd to me that the download speed was being reduced but the upload speed has remained constant every time I've done a speed test.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the only 2 times in the past few months that a speedtest has given higher results like 300+mbps download was after I got off the phone with my ISP. It would be perfectly fine for 10 minutes then back to the regular 5mbps.
Ok, how many people are in your neighborhood using the same internet?