Question I need advice on picking a PSU since Corsair's aren't available anymore

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I've used Corsair PSU's for over 20 years now and I've never had a problem with them. Most of them lasted past their 10 year warranty, In fact I just had one back in 2016 or so finally explode on me after using it for over 15 years and I bought me an AX850 and paid less than $200 for it. For a Titanium Certified PSU! Now? Every Corsair PSU is either over $350-$400 or out of stock in every major retailer. Probably due to the Corona Virus, idk but it's still ridiculous.

I need a PSU ASAP for my wife's computer (I'm upgrading it to the year 2020 because I'm getting sick of using many of my spare parts I just slapped together for her from the late 2000's to the early 2010's when we were dating. It can barely run World of Warcraft at 40 FPS let alone Windows 10 at well... anything. It's time she got something half decent for a change)

I found a few PSU's on Amazon that might be candidates but I honestly don't know jack crap about PSU's anymore that aren't made by Corsair. I've been buying Corsair PSU's since I was in middle school pretty much. I like that all PSU's are either Gold ...etc certified though which makes it easy to shop since Corsair used those same certifications but which brands are even half decent or comparable to Corsair's quality?

I found these on Amazon and have no clue how comparable they might be:

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Strider-Titanium-PS-ST80F-TI/dp/B01GPNHNAA/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=power+supplies&qid=1595265709&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:6906987011,p_89:SilverStone+Technology&rnid=2528832011&s=pc&sr=1-2&th=1 (This one sounds way too cheap to be true.)

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superno...=1595265004&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_ (This one I was going to buy until I read the reviews about how loud the PSU apparently is. Major turn off if it's true, I've never encountered a loud PSU in my life and I've been building computers since I was seven years old back in the good old 486 days. Loud Heatsinks? Yes. Loud Fans oh yeah but loud PSU? Nope.)

Honestly, I'm not going to spend more than $250 on a PSU though, CV or no CV, I'm already sticking over $1,500 into her setup as it is. I'd like to keep her build under 2 grand. Especially when I'm borrowing the money to pay for the darn thing. Anyway, thanks for your advice in the future.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
That Silverstone is a very good PSU. HERE is a list of PSUs that was recently put together by quality tier.

Okay my wife is a little worried about a Waranty on that. According to Amazon there's no warranty aside from Amazon's standard warranty which is 30 days I believe? I've never heard of silverstone as a company before. Is there a way to get a warranty from them that's at least 3 years? What is the Amazon 4 year equipment plan? Does that mean that Amazon will replace the PSU if it's faulty within 4 years? If yes it would seem worth spending the extra $30 getting at least a 4 year warranty if there's none from silverstone. I thought all PSU's had a 10 year warranty but I guess not maybe that's just companies like Corsair and EVGA.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Okay my wife is a little worried about a Waranty on that. According to Amazon there's no warranty aside from Amazon's standard warranty which is 30 days I believe? I've never heard of silverstone as a company before. Is there a way to get a warranty from them that's at least 3 years? What is the Amazon 4 year equipment plan? Does that mean that Amazon will replace the PSU if it's faulty within 4 years? If yes it would seem worth spending the extra $30 getting at least a 4 year warranty if there's none from silverstone. I thought all PSU's had a 10 year warranty but I guess not maybe that's just companies like Corsair and EVGA.
It comes with a 5 year warranty from Silverstone.

You might be surprised who actually made all those Corsair PSU's it certainly was not them they were rebrands.

What components are actually going into this pc?

I can't believe for a single minute you 'need' an 850w psu.

There's not a single cpu/gpu combination that can't be run easily on a decent 650w model.

Amazon is not your best place to buy at the moment, what country are you actually in??

PSU warranties tend to be with the manufacturer rather than the seller, there are plenty of antec,corsair, seasonic units that have 7-10 year warranties.

Earthwatts gold Pro 750w - it's a seasonic focus .

https://www.amazon.com/ANTEC-EARTHW...rds=Earthwatts+gold+pro&qid=1595273044&sr=8-1

$100, in stock in a week or so.

Can't go wrong with that one at all.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
While 850W is quite a PSU, I've used Silverstone SFF PSUs for years and never had one fail or perform at a level that was an issue. Few PSUs actually have a 10 year warranty.

And as to the Seasonic Focus, if it becomes available, it is a great PSU. I've used the better Seasonic for years also without any issues.

I've used Corsair PSU's for over 20 years now and I've never had a problem with them. Most of them lasted past their 10 year warranty, In fact I just had one back in 2016 or so finally explode on me after using it for over 15 years and I bought me an AX850 and paid less than $200 for it. For a Titanium Certified PSU! Now? Every Corsair PSU is either over $350-$400 or out of stock in every major retailer. Probably due to the Corona Virus, idk but it's still ridiculous.

Are you only checking Amazon? Have you checked Microcenter, Best Buy, Newegg or Corsair.com?

Here's a good one with 10 year warranty-
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-rog-strix-750g-750w/p/N82E16817320005

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
What components are actually going into this pc?

I can't believe for a single minute you 'need' an 850w psu.

There's not a single cpu/gpu combination that can't be run easily on a decent 650w model.

Amazon is not your best place to buy at the moment, what country are you actually in??

PSU warranties tend to be with the manufacturer rather than the seller, there are plenty of antec,corsair, seasonic units that have 7-10 year warranties.

Earthwatts gold Pro 750w - it's a seasonic focus .

https://www.amazon.com/ANTEC-EARTHW...rds=Earthwatts+gold+pro&qid=1595273044&sr=8-1

$100, in stock in a week or so.

Can't go wrong with that one at all.

I live in the US for those asking. I wasn't aware that corsair didnt make their power supply boxes I always thought they made them. I ended up buying the Silverstone PSU as soon as someone said it came with a 5 year warranty that was good enough for me and Amazon only had 3 or so and left in stock. I figured with the CV going on I probably had to act quick on a box since I do have an extra H-850i but it's missing cords to it and I didnt like risking my valuable components with the box if she doesnt have to.

I did a calculation on a PSU calculator on google and it said about 800 watts or so. The most power consuming thing is always the damn video card and water block.

Theres about 2 spare HDD s going into the build (ill probably end up giving her one of my spare 4TB WD drives) and right now she has a a GTX 1060 OR A 1080TI (I forget which I bought it 3 years ago) that I had left over and gave to her when I bought my RTX 2080 super in August or so last year that I paid about $799.99 for. Ive noticed now the card is over a grand so I'm glad I bought it when I did. I was thinking of buying myself a better card perhaps and giving her my 2080. But not sure what's really come out in the last year. Idk since I'm borrowing the money maybe her current card will do her fine. I'm not buying her a new monitor yet because I need to save money and pay off what I'm already buying her so she has a spare ASUS 1080P monitor that I bought several years ago.

Umm an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F motherboard, Core i7-10700k, G.Skill Trident-z 64 GB kit, 500gb 970 evo plus SSD and two bluray drives. I think that's about it. I was going to get her a water cooling kit but I couldnt find any for gen 10 processors. They are pretty new and just came out a few months ago so it shouldn't be surprising. Oh and the silver sonic PSU I was recommended. The case I'm just going to give her my old one (Corsair 760-t I believe? That or a 740-t I bought it when we were dating for 350 ish) So yeah pretty up to date rig aside from her video card. I'm probably going to upgrade her card once I pay her build off. I wanted to get an i9-10900k but virtually everywhere is out of stock and I'm not paying a grand for a CPU that retails for $525. CV or not.

Last edited: