[SOLVED] I need advice on upgrading cooling

Oct 3, 2021
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I have used the articles from this website a lot.

Back when I built my PC I had a limited budget, still do but I had built it so I could upgrade it later.

Personally the only thing I am happy with still is the CPU. However I just started playing new world and noticed my CPU temp is 176F and just using chrome it is about 163. It starts off at like 100F. I had left it alone for a while (2016) because I had stopped gaming on my PC and was mostly on Ps4. Its not really a preference it was just where my friends were, I don't really care which is better.

This was my build.

AMD FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor with the stock wraith cooler (I wasn't able to figure out what type of wraith cooler it was, I think it is the wraith cooler max)
ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard (No Idea really how this ranks now)
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory (I don't really have an issue with 8gb of RAM)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (I added a 2TB seagate SSD at some point)
Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2 GB Video Card ( I know this was not a great card but it plays new world on low ok, I want to upgrade but I can't find a mid tier or better card to replace it with, I'm not the type to camp out at a best buy or something)
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Rosewill 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (I know this was more watts than I needed at the time but I'm not sure it will be if I upgrade stuff)
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (I think I used it once when i set up my pc lol)

I'm not comfortable with water coolers. What can I do to lower the temp and get better performance. Preferable with the idea that I'll upgrade my GPU in the future when supply becomes more normal. I looked and couldn't find much under $500 that would be a significant increase. Prices are insane right now.

I also would prefer the cooler not be loud. Also my Fan is running about 3000rpms currently.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

That game is known to be a hit or miss for most people and most people are reporting high temps, to the point where their GPU's are catching fire. You're already on the worst possible CPU known to people, not kidding, since it's an 125W TDP processor form a decade ago.

You're shy of building a new system...sooner if the game kills everything in the build. IMHO, your concern isn't the processor's cooler, you should be looking into a new build...and stay away from that game for now, until the devs at Amazon acknowledge that there's something wrong with their game. To bring something in perspective, you're looking at either a 240mm thick radiator AIO or a beefy aircooler. The latter could go for less than...

Lutfij

Titan

That game is known to be a hit or miss for most people and most people are reporting high temps, to the point where their GPU's are catching fire. You're already on the worst possible CPU known to people, not kidding, since it's an 125W TDP processor form a decade ago.

You're shy of building a new system...sooner if the game kills everything in the build. IMHO, your concern isn't the processor's cooler, you should be looking into a new build...and stay away from that game for now, until the devs at Amazon acknowledge that there's something wrong with their game. To bring something in perspective, you're looking at either a 240mm thick radiator AIO or a beefy aircooler. The latter could go for less than 100USD while the former is more than USD100.

FYI, if you didn't know, the game is designed on the same engine that the first Crysis was built on...which put bleeding edge hardware's at the time to their knees. The game is designed around badly written code that's why everyone's yelling about high temps.

Solution
Oct 3, 2021

You're shy of building a new system...sooner if the game kills everything in the build. IMHO, your concern isn't the processor's cooler, you should be looking into a new build...and stay away from that game for now, until the devs at Amazon acknowledge that there's something wrong with their game. To bring something in perspective, you're looking at either a 240mm thick radiator AIO or a beefy aircooler. The latter could go for less than 100USD while the former is more than USD100.

FYI, if you didn't know, the game is designed on the same engine that the first Crysis was built on...which put bleeding edge hardware's at the time to their knees. The game is designed around badly written code that's why everyone's yelling about high temps.

Thanks for that, I already figured it was time to upgrade. Although the performance from my CPU seemed good so I never realized it was bad. From what I see online it still performs but the new Ryzen blows it out of the water. That changes my perspective for upgrading but I need something to buy me time.

However since I probably can't upgrade anytime soon due to current market conditions:

would changing to something like these be considered a "Beefy air cooler"
DEEP COOL Assassin III CPU Cooler/7 Heatpipes/Premium Twin-Tower/Dual 140mm with PWM
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler
Noctua-NH-D15

Which is better?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for that, I already figured it was time to upgrade. Although the performance from my CPU seemed good so I never realized it was bad. From what I see online it still performs but the new Ryzen blows it out of the water. That changes my perspective for upgrading but I need something to buy me time.

However since I probably can't upgrade anytime soon due to current market conditions:

would changing to something like these be considered a "Beefy air cooler"
DEEP COOL Assassin III CPU Cooler/7 Heatpipes/Premium Twin-Tower/Dual 140mm with PWM
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler
Noctua-NH-D15

Which is better?
Your CPU is just 80C that is not to bad. I would probably just add a case fan blowing on the cooler mounted in the side spot of the case.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The FX cpus used a different method of reporting thermals, via Thermal Margin. The sensors don't report real time.
If you don't use the correct apps, they will read those sensors in real time, and you'll actually get incorrect readings.

AMD Overdrive is one of the apps you should use.
The FX-8350 has a Thermal Margin of 61C. No idea what that would be in real time...
When you monitor the cores with Overdrive, the temperatures will count down from 61C as it warms up. So 0 - it can even go into the negatives - is bad.