Question I need advice on what to upgrade on my computer.

gtimmis07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2016
Hello,

My name is George, I have had my gaming PC for just about two years now, I haven't had any real issues with it, but I feel like it could run faster on some games. I'm just not sure where my bottleneck is on my build, while I do believe its likely my CPU, I would like some advice and a second opinion and maybe even a third :). My current build is as followed:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
GPU: 1060 6GB (Gigabyte I believe)
RAM: 16gb 2100mhz
MOBO: X370 Killer SLI/ac
Windows is Installed on a M.2 drive I can't remember the brand though sorry.

Games I play are: Red Dead Redemption 2, Escape From Tarkov ( this is on the M.2 drive with windows.), Skyrim ( a lot of mods), I will also be playing MechWarriors 5 soon.

Thank you in advance for any advice given.
-George T.

I would upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 3600 (be sure to update the BIOS while you still have the 1600 installed) . In order to support Ryzen 3000 your motherboard must be atleast to BIOS version P5.40

http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x370 killer sliac/index.asp#BIOS

ASRocks can be weird to update, so read the descriptions carefully, because you may need to update to one version before preceding to another.

Another big issue is your slow RAM. You ideally you will want 3600mhz RAM such as https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n6...b-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c18d-16gvk . You can lose anywhere from 5-15% perfomrance with Ryzen by using slower RAM.

The 1060 is still a good card for 1080P 60 FPS gaming, To upgrade that you would need something like (in a rough performance order) a 1660 Super or 1660ti, RX 5600XT, RX5700, RTX 2060 Super, RX5700XT, RTX2070 Super.

Reactions: CountMike

gtimmis07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2016
Thank you man! I figured the cpu would be the thing to do first and the ram was a second thing to me too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for not touching my gpu as I see RDR2 actually has the 1060 6gb as it's minimum requirement for a gpu. Would it be a smart idea to look into OCijg my ram? If so would do you think I should shoot for in MHZs?

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Thank you man! I figured the cpu would be the thing to do first and the ram was a second thing to me too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for not touching my gpu as I see RDR2 actually has the 1060 6gb as it's minimum requirement for a gpu. Would it be a smart idea to look into OCijg my ram? If so would do you think I should shoot for in MHZs?
You need fast ram for ryzen cpu's I would recommend at least 3200mhz

Reactions: gtimmis07

gtimmis07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2016
So both of you have expressed the need for a RAM upgrade. The next question is.

If I up the speed of the ram do I need to replace my CPU, or would the speed up from the RAM be a great improvement to the system by itself.

gtimmis07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2016
So the thing is, I can really only afford to upgrade one thing right now. What would be better to upgrade the RAM or the CPU?

My next question about RAM is the chart in the link below shows the Summit Ridge CPU series which is what the Ryzen 5 1600x falls under. I'm having some difficulties understanding what its saying. Is the chart stating that with my MOBO/CPU combo the fastest I can get on ram (w/out OCing) is 2667mhz?

Heres the link to my MOBO specs on ASROCK the chart is in the memory part:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x370 killer sliac/index.asp#Specification

(sorry my computer at work wont let me post images for some reason

Last edited:

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
You can choose what you want first, because you need both of them. Both of them will increase performance but the CPU will have more impact. Underneath memory you can see. I think you can go up to 2933mhz but I'm not sure.

gtimmis07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2016
Ok, man thank you for all the help, I'm just getting back into building computers so a lot of this stuff is pretty new to me. I think im going to the CPU upgrade. I'll do my ram next when I get the chance.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Ok, man thank you for all the help, I'm just getting back into building computers so a lot of this stuff is pretty new to me. I think im going to the CPU upgrade. I'll do my ram next when I get the chance.
Nice, I assume you're going with the Ryzen 5 3600? If so, it is a very good CPU! I also use it in my personal system paired with an RX 5700XT and it is a perfect combo. For the price the ryzen 5 3600 is very good and I've had no issues with it since day one :)

gtimmis07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2016
Update!: So I found the perfect pricing to buy both the ram and the cpu! So I have the 5 3600 and 16gb of 3200mhz! So much faster in games now! And I donated my old cpu and ram to a friend so he could have a new computer with just buying a new Mobo and I bought him his first m.2 drive also, so he's super happy to be in the amd4 with the drr4 world now, he was running an amd3 socket cpu ( can't remember which one) so even my CPU and RAM is a huge upgrade for him.