[SOLVED] I need advice to choose the best powerful antenna to receive WiFi signal

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Hi,
I am using Ubiquiti Loco M2 device to connect to free WiFi around in the center of big city. Because sometimes has an interruption with the internet connection from my ISP and i need reserve internet connection.
Now i am looking to buy something more serious, for long distance, with 5GHz and 2.4GHz support (Loco M2 supports only 2.4Ghz). Also to have a wide scan angle. For me will be more convenient if i use Omni Directional WiFi antenna on the roof for that purpose, because i do not know from where comes the signal? I have no idea whether this is to scan and receive WiFi or it is just to send out WiFi away. Link for one of these below:
https://www.ebay.com/c/1404679571?iid=173351702145
I am ready to pay for "Sector WiFi antenna" if will be more powerful and will work better than the omni directional? Сan you recommend model ? Again i am not sure whether i can use it to receive WiFi or it`s point to point etc.
Now i saw this device Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-PRO Mesh Pro
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap
Please advice me.
My budget is up to 500 USD. I need a device to receive at long range as much as possible WiFi networks and hopefully some of them will be unlocked.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

There is an issue with your expectations - WiFi uses bi-directional radio connectivity. It is simply not enough to get one side upgraded, it takes both sides. Also, there is a legal limit to the amount of radio power you can emit with no license. Finally, in a big city, you will likely have interference problems.

With that price range, consider leaning towards a good 5G/LTE cellular link (SD-WAN).
Hi,

There is an issue with your expectations - WiFi uses bi-directional radio connectivity. It is simply not enough to get one side upgraded, it takes both sides. Also, there is a legal limit to the amount of radio power you can emit with no license. Finally, in a big city, you will likely have interference problems.

With that price range, consider leaning towards a good 5G/LTE cellular link (SD-WAN).

Last edited:
Solution