Build Advice I need advice with a new build ?

theonetain

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
Hey folks... I have some questions on a build I'm putting together. First the parts I have for the build:

Thermaltake Versa H21 Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior(CA-1B2-00M1NN-00)

ASRock X399 PROFESSIONAL GAMING

AMD Ryzen Threadripper TR 2950X (YD295XA8UGAAF) 3.5GHz 8MB cache 16c/32t 180W

Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (CPU cooler/Air)

Noctua NF-A15 PWM (Fan/Extra)

Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black (CMK128GX4M8A2666C16)

Team 4TB PCIe4 x4 2280 TM8FPQ004T0C327
Team Group T-FORCE CARDEA Z44Q M.2 2280 4TB PCIe Gen4.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) TM8FPQ004T0C327
3 M.2 drives

SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 8TB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-77Q8T0B)

Pioneer Internal SATA 16x Blu-Ray BD DVD CD Disc Writer Burner Writer (BDR-212V)
2 optical drives

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA 11GB GDDR6 Graphics Card (11G-P4-2487-KR)

StarTech.com 4 Port USB 3.0 PCIe Card w/ 4 Dedicated 5Gbps Channels (USB 3.2 Gen 1) - UASP - SATA / LP4 Power - PCI Express Adapter Card

Logitech G413 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G502 Hero High Performance Gaming Mouse

Logitech X56 H.O.T.A.S.

Lenovo G24-10
2 displays

So the first question is what recommendations do you folks have for the power supply? Using the various power supply calculators I'm getting I need a 850 watt PS to be on the safe side.

Next looking over the motherboard manual in addition to the "ATX Power Connector" there's a "8 pin 12V Power Connector" and "4 pin 12V Power Connector". I thought a board is supposed to have either a 4 or 8 pin connector, not both. So do I use both or just the eight pin?

Also the CPU cooler from Noctua comes with "Noctua’s proven NT-H1 thermal compound and a full 6-year manufacturer’s warranty, the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 forms a complete premium-quality solution that combines maximum performance and superb acoustics for enthusiast-grade sTRX4/sWRX8/TR4/SP3 systems." So should I use this thermal compound that came with the cooler or another compound?

Any other tips or suggestions in maximizing this build would be greatly appreciated. Provide links if you can. Thanks in advance.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
1) Forget hype & hype on air fans, get a liquid cooler. Corsair would do well, best install is remove the 2 drive bays (lower) and get a Corsair H100i. (2 fans size)
2) AMD & Nvidia mix, do not recommend it, you will inherit the headaches of 2 brands. Also the Threadripper series is last gen 5 not gen 6 and the memory support says 2933mhz, if you want to be stable. PCIE is 3.0 not even 4.
3) As for connectivity to Backup Storage, get Thunderbolt instead. USB will never be fast.
4) NVME on PCIE 3.0 will not be that good either, so bad mismatch again.
Why do you want 16 cores for ? I am seeing this as a workstation built of sorts. But with mismatched parts of no reason. What will you use it for Mainly & then Secondarily ? Think this through seriously.

Where are you buying the parts? I can see that the monitors are linking me to a Hongkong website.

if you have already bought the parts and just waiting for a PSU suggestion, get this : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hC...-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-tpd-0750fnfagu-4

Use all the power connectors. Both 8 pin and the 4 pin.

The noctual thermal paste should work.

I would advice to stick with Nocua SP3 coolers as they have an optimised cold plate design for complete coverage of the IHS and will perform better than a liquid cooler with incomplete IHS coverage.

The one real bad choice i see is the case. it not great for airflow and considering the parts you have, it gonna be hot box.

Do you really need the Optical disk drive? if so, can you make do with an external one?

I would suggest this case if you are tight on budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YLGbt6/deepcool-cc560-atx-mid-tower-case-r-cc560-bkgaa4-g-1

or this one:

Reactions: SorryBella

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023

theonetain

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
Thanks to those who answered thus far.

Here to answer some of your questions about my choices and goals with this system:

- The links above I got from Google to provide you with information about the components.

- The above components are already in my possession purchased from Amazon, eBay, NewEgg, etc.....

- I treat computers like cars, I never buy new. I wait till issues are worked out then buy used after the major issues are taken care of... which is why I took the year 2018 as the start point when looking for parts.

- I am based in the USA.

- This system will NOT be over clocked.

- Windows 10 Pro will be the main boot option for now. Windows 11 is not even an option at this point. May switch over to UNIX if MicroSoft doesn't get their act straight.

- I only trust Air Cooling. Unless there's someone with a briefcase full of cash ready to reimburse me if the water cooling system leaks standing right next to my computer, it's a "No Go".

- If you go to the motherboard page and click Support>Storage QVL the Team 4TB M.2 drive is the largest supported and I want to max out storage space that is available on the motherboard.

- If you go to the motherboard page and click Support>Memory QVL the Corsair CMK128GX4M8A2666C16 is one of the two fastest Non-overclock options to max out the RAM that is available on the motherboard at 128GB.

- Two optical drives were chosen because family members like me to backup various disks for them and two drives are more efficient. Also I sometimes play Movies on one display while working on the other. Internal were chosen to free up desk space and reduce clutter. Also fewer external pieces to plug in to an outlet.

- The processor was chosen to support the graphics card as well as my learning about different UNIX distros running in Virtual Machines

- While I like to play games on the PC, I am NOT a Professional gamer, or even an Armature gamer. I am a casual gamer.

- The NVIDIA graphic card was chosen because it seemed the best option despite going with am AMD system, and saw no viable AMD graphics cards around that time period with a PCI-e 3.0x16 that compared.

- The goal is to future-proof for my system for the foreseeable future. There's an old survivalist saying, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Now armed with this new information lets see if any recommendations change.

Latest posts