I need advice with the build process itself, just a few questions. Thanks.

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys:

Well, this is it. I have everything except for the PSU that got delayed until tomorrow.

CPU:Intel Core i7-4790K
MOBO:Gigabyte ga-z97x Gaming 5
GPU: GTX 980 Gigabyte g1 Gaming
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP
HDD: WD Caviar Dark 1TB
SSD: 850 EVO 120GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Case: Nzxt H440

These are my questions:

1.-Would it be cool if I put everything together and leave it on my wooden desk until tomorrow?
2.-Is it alright if I start like this or I absolutely need to install the PSU first and then start building the rest of the parts?
3.-I have a ceramic floor and I'm going to build it almost completely naked, and I also have the anti static strap, and I plan to build it over a wooden surface, no carpet, nothing. Is that a good idea or should I just use the top of the box where the MOBO came to build it? Am I overdoing it? It is my first time >_<.
4.-If I install the cooler, the RAM sticks, and the processor, and leave the MOBO resting on my desk, would that mess in any way with the components? It would only be a day, and my room is not too hot or too cold, and fairly clean.
5.-I have all the tutorials from Newegg. Am I overlooking anything here? Any extra advice? Thanks a lot guys!

Thanks, guys!

Solution
1, 2: This all depends on how easy the CPU power connector is to get to. Some cases or heatsinks make getting to that connector much more difficult than it should be. Your case shouldn't offer any problems, but that cooler could.

3: As for static if you know the actions in your house that tends to let you build up a charge, don't do them. I've built machine on my bed, on a carpeted floor, and on both hardwood and vinyl tile floors as well as on work benches. When I have to put a component down it will always be on an anti-static bag, except for the case. I always touch the metal frame of the case before I handle a component that I've put down. (I don't think I've ever owned a grounding strap.)

4: I usually assemble the MB components...

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
You sound fine other than doing your install naked. Better watch out that body parts don't get caught by sharp edges. Wearing an antistatic strap is fine as long as you aren't rubbing wool socks on a shag carpet and then trying to do your install.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
1, 2: This all depends on how easy the CPU power connector is to get to. Some cases or heatsinks make getting to that connector much more difficult than it should be. Your case shouldn't offer any problems, but that cooler could.

3: As for static if you know the actions in your house that tends to let you build up a charge, don't do them. I've built machine on my bed, on a carpeted floor, and on both hardwood and vinyl tile floors as well as on work benches. When I have to put a component down it will always be on an anti-static bag, except for the case. I always touch the metal frame of the case before I handle a component that I've put down. (I don't think I've ever owned a grounding strap.)

4: I usually assemble the MB components first. If I have a delay, I usually open the box the MB came in, but the anti-static/RF bag on the packing foam, and put the MB on that, inside the box. I know people who assemble and run their rig exposed, mounted on wood, so I doubt there would be a problem with just a few simple precautions.

5: Building a rig isn't hard, but always keep the MB and Case manual close at hand. There will be sections about connecting just about everything, and in the case of the RAM, which slots to put your RAM for the best performance. The best advice though, is to not rush anything.

Good luck. Have fun.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS