I need advice

thewalrusking

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2003
Im planning on building a new PC this winter but Im in a money crunch. I plan on getting an Core 2 Duo 6600, but I have a 6800GT AGP card, that I dont want to part with, as i really dont have money for a top end card, (id like to get top end as it lasts longer, and well, its top end). So I have found a few mATX boards that will hold me over till i get more cash for the card. When I bought the card it was written all over that AGP will be around for a while even if its second, but thats not really what happened so now I need to make a core system, then when I get the cash, buy a better MOBO and Card. Does this seem smart. The problem is that if I wait till I afford a 6600 and a NEW great Card it will be alot longer than if I do it peice by peice.

Id also have to buy a gig of cheap ddr400, as im using ddr333 now. But id wager that if I put the 1 gig of cheaper ram, a cheaper board, with the 6600, and my current card, with all the hard drives I own, 2 80gigs, and a 120giger. It is about, $500 at Newegg. with a 3 rail 12+v 550 watt from Antec.

I did a VERY quick search on a new Gfx card, with all new parts and it ended up being about 1000 or more. but this would take quite a while to save for.

Also is it worth the time to wait for DX10 cards, ive been reading that alot of people will wait on them since the early DX9 cards had issues. But im leaning on waiting for DX10, for obvious reasons, and because i wont need to upgrade for as long.

0zzy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Buying cheap mobo and ram is a waste of money if u r planning to upgrade later. If you can't afford the top end stuff, then u should probably wait and save more money.