i need answers about crossfire

wethenation1

Reputable
May 4, 2015
ok right now i own a r9 280x sapphire an was wondering if i get the sapphire r9 390 would work with my old one or if i should just use the new one and if i can only use new one and if there is a better one then the 390 for at most 350 taxes included that would be great

Solution
The 970 isn't much of an upgrade from what you have either. It is only a little faster than the 290. You might see around a 30% boost with it, so it's not bad, but it's not huge. With a GTX 980 being found as cheap as $430 right now, it's not a bad option, granted above that price it gets a little too expensive to be worth it. The 980 would be more like a 60% improvement in performance.

Here is a link:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx980gaming4g
The 280X and the 390 are not compatible for Crossfire. The 290 and the 390 would work together, but that's because they have the same GPU. The 280X uses a different GPU (Tahiti) and Crossfire only works with the same GPU, except with Dual-Graphics which is when you Crossfire an integrated GPU with a low-end discrete card like the Radeon 6670.

wethenation1

Reputable
May 4, 2015

ok thank you now i have 1 more question is the 390 a considerable upgrade from the 280 like i mean massive and great upgrade

wethenation1

Reputable
May 4, 2015

ok one last one what is the benifiet of doing crossfire? will it be like having 1 powerful one or what

It will depend on the game. A few don't support Crossfire very well, so they'd perform closer to a single card. Most games will get a roughly 80% performance boost compared to a single card. Selling your card and upgrading to a single powerful card will guarantee the performance boost and be more power-efficient (especially if you opt for the 980), so it's generally the better option unless you can get a second card dirt cheap.

wethenation1

Reputable
May 4, 2015

i know you are saying the 980 but is the 970 good?

The 970 isn't much of an upgrade from what you have either. It is only a little faster than the 290. You might see around a 30% boost with it, so it's not bad, but it's not huge. With a GTX 980 being found as cheap as $430 right now, it's not a bad option, granted above that price it gets a little too expensive to be worth it. The 980 would be more like a 60% improvement in performance.

Here is a link:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx980gaming4g

Solution