I need audio lead for my TV from surround system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz_9_

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
I have a Sony surround system in my bedroom I've been told I need a audio lead for all the surround speakers to work ie watching TV and dvd ..

Solution
Most TVs have an optical audio output. If your surround sound system has an optical input then you need a toslink optical cable. On many TVs you have to turn it on and the TV speakers off to get it to work.
If you have a headphone out on your TV you can use a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug at the TV end and 2 RCA plugs at the surround sound end. Won't work as well.
There are other scenarios where you would need an optical to coax digital converter or a DAC to convert optical to analog. TV audio settings and surround sound mode would have to be set correctly.

Impossible to know what you need without knowing exactly what inputs and outputs your devices have. Audio lead is pretty generic, there are many different types.

Most TVs have an optical audio output. If your surround sound system has an optical input then you need a toslink optical cable. On many TVs you have to turn it on and the TV speakers off to get it to work.
If you have a headphone out on your TV you can use a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug at the TV end and 2 RCA plugs at the surround sound end. Won't work as well.
There are other scenarios where you would need an optical to coax digital converter or a DAC to convert optical to analog. TV audio settings and surround sound mode would have to be set correctly.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.