Question I need better internet

I am in England and i desperately need to find a way to get faster internet , even though i am on fibre connection i only get 17mb per sec download speed. My local exchange is only 1 mile away and an engineer told me off the record that regardless of who my I.S.P. is i will not get a better service because the exchange is very old and only capable of giving me a maximum of 20mb per second.

Example a 25gb game download can take 3 hours 30 minutes , it takes even long if somebody in the home turns on the laptop.

The fibre connection goes from the exchange to a service cabinet at the end of my street but it is still copper wire from the telegram post outside my window and into my home.

My home used to be single story but we extended upwards and the main phone wire is now under what is now a bedroom floor so i cant get to them unless i ripped up the floor

I am in England and i desperately need to find a way to get faster internet , even though i am on fibre connection i only get 17mb per sec download speed. My local exchange is only 1 mile away and an engineer told me off the record that regardless of who my I.S.P. is i will not get a better service because the exchange is very old and only capable of giving me a maximum of 20mb per second.

Example a 25gb game download can take 3 hours 30 minutes , it takes even long if somebody in the home turns on the laptop.
What speed are you paying for?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Something doesn't sound right. I live in one of the most remote corners of a developing country and my 100Mbps fiber connection consistently gives me 93-98 Mbps on tests. Actual d/l speed varies with the source of course. Last month, my download of the 4.28GB Win10 ISO took just over 9 minutes. I have an option to upgrade up to 1 Gbps but no one in my family does regular heavy downloads, so none of us feels the need. I pay the equivalent of UKP 8.3 a month incld. tax with unlimited data.

Bob.B's question is crucial: What speed are you paying for? How fast is your connection supposed to be?

I get what i am paying for but thats not the problem , my provider does offer higher packages but my local exchange cant handle them. If i changed provider they would have to link through the exchange i am using now so i wont get a better service